Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] E7 series MFD with a B744V transducer
04-29-20, 12:17 AM (This post was last modified: 04-29-20 01:44 AM by Tom - Raymarine - Moderator.)
E7 series MFD with a B744V transducer
Just put these two devices on my boat. On power up the Fishfinder app does not see the sensor. Going to “Data Sources” the sensor is not detected in auto detect mode. In manual detect, the error message indicates the configuration could not be completed.
Any advice on how to get the two to talk?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-29-20, 01:47 AM
RE: E7 series MFD with a B744V transducer
Hello bobvany,

The Data Source selection is only for NMEA2000 devices, and is also only for when you have more than one of a particular type of device and need to select a specific one. A fishfinder transducer will never be listed there.

What sort of B744V (Raymarine part number) do you have? Is it connected directly to an e7D? When you say that the Fishfinder app does not see the sensor: you have a 'No transducer connected' warning message, or something else?

Thanks,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
05-01-20, 01:54 PM
Hi Tom,
Thanks for the reply.

My MFD is an es127 or 128, PN E70284R with Lighthouse 3 as the OS.
Transducer is a Raymarine PN A66091
It’s connected to the MFD with a E66066 adaptor cable.

On power up, and selection of the fishfinder app, the error message says “No Sensor Connected” or “Found”, something like that.

BTW, I’m an ex FLIR employee. I live in Goleta and I’m still a friend of many FLIR employees, including my longtime friend, Jay, Marine Product Manager. You may know him as he gave me your possible last name that I won’t publish here.

Thanks again for the reply. I look forward to a possible resolution. Last weekend was the first water test after several weekends of R&R fun.

Got some other goodies to hookup to the MFD soon.

Cheers mate, Bob
05-01-20, 02:27 PM
Intended attachment
05-04-20, 12:58 AM
RE: eS-series MFD with a B744V transducer
Hi Bob,

Yes, I know Jay, I visited Goleta 3 or 4 years ago for some training. A beautiful part of the world - I loved cycling the Gibraltar Road, would do that again any day.

E70284 is an eS127 - ok, I was thinking you had an e7D before. On eSx7 type displays we did occasionally see transducer detection issues. The transducer detection uses a simple Sense resistor (and on 600W transducers like B744V this is very simple: 0 ohms, short-circuit between the sense pair) so there's not an awful lot to go wrong there. I would suggest double-checking that the Sense resistance at the display end of the transducer cable is correct using the pin-out of the eS-MFD-direct version of the B744V (that is, what you'll see on the display end of the E66066) using the appropriate wiring diagram, taken from Airmar's cross-reference. Look between pins 5 and 6.

Assuming that the transducer sense line is ok that implies either a problem in the display or some noise signal being picked up on cabling. This latter is a real thing, we know that it can cause transducer detection issues in other systems and have seen it many times, so the next test I would do is power the eS127 up completely in isolation: either on its own battery temporarily, or as far as possible ensuring that nothing else on the boat is either consuming current or supplying charge (either can induce noise).

If no improvement then, then that narrows it down fairly clearly to the display. I'd back up your settings and data (Home > My Data) and then do a Factory Reset as the next step (press and hold Back at power-up, described in more detail in the handbook), and if no change there, then I'd consider getting the display checked by our Service centre. If you have access to another compatible transducer though (either direct-connect or using that E66066 adaptor) then I would try that though, as very occasionally we saw systems that didn't work with Transducer A, did work with Transducer B, and then after that worked with Transducer A. Personally I never got to the bottom of why that was, but worth a try nevertheless.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
05-04-20, 10:07 PM (This post was last modified: 05-06-20 12:02 PM by Chris - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[TG11]RE: E7 series MFD with a B744V transducer
Hi Tom,
Thanks for all that.
That gives me quite a bit to ferret out next weekend.
The point about noise gives me concern. When I was working to fish my new transducer cable back through the conduit that the old cable came out of, it just wouldn’t go through. I think that was all the low power electronics and accessories.
A second conduit was more forgiving and may be the main power to the dashboard area. Had a thought about different noise levels depending on what else was in that conduit.
In any event, I’ll work my way down the list of troubleshooting options you gave me and report back.
I appreciate it.
Thanks again, Bob
05-06-20, 09:42 PM
No problem, let me know how you get on.

Tom

Raymarine since 1999.

05-12-20, 12:40 AM
Hi Tom,
Following your troubleshooting guidance:
1) Cable & sense resistance on pins 5 & 6 = 0 ohms
2) Ran the MFD with a separate power supply and no power on anywhere in the boat. No change. No depth sensor detected.
3) Ran factory reset. No change. No depth sensor detected.

We’ll be trying a different MFD and or the es127 on another transducer, possibly on FLIRtacious.

I’ll write back when we know something more.
Cheers, Bob
05-25-20, 11:33 AM
Hello Tom,
I’m pleased to report to you that with a different es127 and the right “technician”, Jay, on board, we turned the corner on the MFD, Sonar and Raydome system startup and integration! The 2nd es127 saw the sonar transducer right away.
What a feeling to have the better part of six weekends of knuckle busting expletive laced work come together and light up in full “HD Technicolor”! A palpable change came over boat & crew immediately.
Connecting and powering up the M-series camera will feel like a victory lap in comparison.
Thank you for your knowledge and support throughout this journey.
My boat is now ready for the next level of island exploration and pursuit of richer fishing grounds offshore.
If you’re ever back in Goleta, give a shout for a beer and/or a local boat ride. I think you can get at my contact info through this forum.
Cheers, and thanks again!
Bob
05-27-20, 12:45 PM
Hi Tom,
I do remember a question that came up for us.
I installed a new GA150(?) GPS antenna but we couldn’t tell whether the es127 was detecting and using that antenna vs the internal antenna.
Can you point us to a way to verify the new antenna is in effect?
Thanks, Bob