Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] Raystar 125 GPS seatalk and NMEA
05-01-20, 10:08 PM (This post was last modified: 05-05-20 12:28 AM by Tom - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Raystar 125 GPS seatalk and NMEA
I am adding a E90W plotter beside my old system that includes a Pathfinder RL70C and a Raystar 125 GPS receiver connected by SeaTalk.
I would like to split the GPS data separately to both units without networking them. My question is, can I leave the SeaTalk connection in place and simply run an NMEA 0183 connection from the R125 wires to the NMEA port on the E90W? Or do I need to replace the SeaTalk cabling to the RL70C with NMEA wiring from the R125? Advice much appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-05-20, 12:33 AM
RE: Raystar 125 GPS seatalk and NMEA
Hello AndrewP,

You don't need to go to the complexity of either of these changes: just connect all 3 devices together with Seatalk, that's fine. Avoid NMEA083 if at all possible, it's horrible. There is no problem having multiple chartplotters from different generations in the same Seatalk network.
Just make sure that you only have a single point of power for your single combined Seatalk network, so if you're joining an existing E90W network and RL70C network, make sure you remove the power supply from one or the other so that you don't double-up.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply