Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] Issues with updating software on MicroSD Card - Not reading
05-05-20, 12:16 PM (This post was last modified: 05-07-20 11:00 PM by Tom - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Brick Issues with updating software on MicroSD Card - Not reading
I downloaded latest software update for Axiom as ZIP file and extracted ISO files to the root director as per the instructions. I then tried to do the upgrade on the MFD but doesn't seem to want to read the SD card; it takes 10-15 mins and still nothing. When I insert in my computer it reads it fine, this is formatted with FAT32.

Any ideas? If there are other files on the SD card, does that matter?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-07-20, 11:09 PM
RE: Issues with updating software on MicroSD Card - Not reading
Hello Dfaria,

It doesn't matter about having other files on the card: as long as the ISOs are present, complete, uncorrupted and definitely in the root directory of a good MicroSD card then they should work. Common causes of problems though are:
  • a failing MicroSD which has bad sectors, which means that some parts of the SD (the contents of some files) cannot be read reliably.
  • an incomplete write to the card. Computers use 'buffered writes' to cards and other media and when the Copy progress bar disappears that does not necessarily mean that the file has been fully written to the card, only that it's been loaded into the write buffer. If you pull the card out of the reader shortly after the progress bar has disappeared then the write operation may not have completed and you end up with an incomplete file on the card (right file size, incomplete contents) which will fail the display's integrity check. Always right-click and do 'Eject' on your PC and wait until it says it's safe before removing the card, as this flushes the write buffer.
  • a corrupted download or file extraction
  • copying the folder containing the ISOs onto the card

I'd guess that you have one of the first two problems.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply