Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CC11]VRM & EBL with buttons?
05-07-20, 09:42 AM (This post was last modified: 05-07-20 12:09 PM by Chris - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CC11]VRM & EBL with buttons?
I’m part of the crew on a Royal Canadian Marine Search and Rescue vessel. We are replacing our older e series units with Axiom Pros. When training or on a tasking, we make heavy use of zooming in and out as well as the EBL/VRM functionality. These are key for us, especially when running at night or in poor visibility at speed. Although the touch screen is nice, we can not always use it, due to rough seas, water, etc. so we purchased the axiom pros because they offered hybrid controls... physical buttons or touch screen.

Editing the EBL/VRM seems to require a lot of different button presses. Am I doing it wrong? On the old units, it was a single button. I can’t believe ‘auto pilot’ gets a dedicated button, but EBL/VRM doesn’t? And ditto for zoom in & out... I can’t even figure out how to do that with the physical buttons yet. Any pointers would be most welcome!

And finally, once I’m editing the VRM or EBL, I can use the directional buttons to move the location, but not the rotational knob. On the old units, the rotational knob was very quick to move the EBL or VRM. Is it possible to use the knob?

Sorry to be verbose... in summary:
1) what is quickest way to start editing EBL/VRM using buttons
2) can you zoom in and out (with buttons) while editing Editing EBL/VRM?
3) can the rotational knob be used to adjust EBL without changing the VRM?

Thanks much!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-08-20, 02:46 PM (This post was last modified: 05-11-20 11:29 AM by Chris - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CC11]VRM & EBL with buttons?
Hello Gordonbone

Q1) what is quickest way to start editing EBL/VRM using buttons
A1- I use the cursor pad to move the cursor off the ships position then press the ok(center button) It will bring up the quick menu. Then select more options and your VRM/EBL on/off and edit options are there.

Q2) can you zoom in and out (with buttons) while editing Editing EBL/VRM?
A2 Yes, turn on the VRM/EBL and then turn the knob clockwise or counter clockwise. Be advised while adjusting the VRM/EBL if you press the ok(center button it will toggle between the VRM adjust and the EBL adjust.

Q3- can the rotational knob be used to adjust EBL without changing the VRM?
A3-Yes use the ok key to toggle to the EBL and adjust,

Chris,
05-09-20, 08:41 AM
Thanks for your reply Chris!

I now realize that part of my problem is that the unit has a defective knob; turning it does nothing. So I guess this unit is going back :-) at least it hadn’t been installed on the boat yet.

But regarding your response to Q2... the unit does not have + and - buttons (physical), so that’s not an option. And if you turn the knob while editing VRM or EBL, won’t that just move the VRM or EBL? It sounds like you’re saying it will zoom if I turn the knob, but in Q3 you say that’s how to adjust VRM/EBL. Can you clarify?

Thanks much!
05-11-20, 11:32 AM
Your welcome,

If you have a optional RMK-10 keypad it does have +/- on the keypad. To clarify the Axiom pro does not have +/-. When you have the EBL/VRM turned on to toggle between which you are adjusting you press the center of the rotary key.
05-11-20, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the clarification. I think we’ll order the remote keypad.

If you keep a list of customer suggestions, may I suggest:

physical buttons for + and - be added to the MFDs (both the 9 and 12 inch versions we purchased have unused space below the existing buttons, so there is room)

That one of the options for the user-programmable button be ‘edit VRM1’. This would mean just one press to get to this feature instead of 6(?)

Thanks! I’ve found this forum very helpful :-)
05-12-20, 10:29 AM
Hello Gordonbone,

Thank you for those recommendations I will pass those on.

Best regards,

Chris,