Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hydraulic Pump Level Question
05-09-20, 05:33 PM
Hydraulic Pump Level Question
Hi Folks,

Thanks for your continued help on this forum its indispensable.

I have the type II hydraulic arm mounted and I am currently dry fitting the hydraulic pump. The manual says that the pump needs to be horizontal, and that it should be level with or higher than the hydraulic arm - i'm assuming this is so any air in the system would flow up to the pump and not stay down in the arm.

(1) Looking at my options during pump dry fit it looks like I can get the pump ever so slightly higher than the arm. Is this good enough or should I work to find a solution where it is minimum several inches / considerably above the arm? Is there real benefit to this?

(2) In almost all of my options the hoses from the arm to the pump need to be routed up and end up running at a level that is much higher than the pump. If the hoses run higher than the pump on the way to the pump, does this undo or negate the effort I've made to have my pump slightly higher than the arm, b/c the hoses end up going higher and air could / would get trapped there.

I will attach a photo of where I am currently thinking of mounting the pump. This is location is accessible for maintenance / inspection, does not interfere with climbing down into the lazarette, its an easy install, and it does get the pump an inch or two higher than the arm (even though the hoses must run much higher).

Thank you,
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-13-20, 09:56 AM
RE: Hydraulic Pump Level Question
Hello panema,

(1) Looking at my options during pump dry fit it looks like I can get the pump ever so slightly higher than the arm. Is this good enough or should I work to find a solution where it is minimum several inches / considerably above the arm? Is there real benefit to this?
A1-The location shown in the picture is a good location for the pump. I would recommend mounting it where it is shown.

(2) In almost all of my options the hoses from the arm to the pump need to be routed up and end up running at a level that is much higher than the pump. If the hoses run higher than the pump on the way to the pump, does this undo or negate the effort I've made to have my pump slightly higher than the arm, b/c the hoses end up going higher and air could / would get trapped there.
A2-The hoses running in this fashion is not an issue.

Chris,
05-16-20, 11:17 AM (This post was last modified: 05-17-20 09:21 PM by Tom - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CC11] Hydraulic Pump Level Question
Hi Chris - just coming back to this to say thank you for the input. Much, much appreciated. Progress is happening!

Can't wait to get off the dock and try out the autopilot.

// Phil
05-18-20, 10:37 AM
RE: Hydraulic Pump Level Question
Your are welcome,

Chris,