Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Learning and upgrading my system
05-10-20, 02:42 PM
Learning and upgrading my system
Recently picked up a 1999 4788 Bayliner that has a combination of new and original Raytheon/Raymarine components that I am attempting to learn, sort out and add to. So I am looking for some advice on what I may need. The best I can tell the new stuff is not interfaced with the old. The components are,

New
Axiom 9RV-9" MFD 3D + 600w (mounted in pilothouse)
Quantum 18" Q24W (wifi model) w/ Pwr Cbl

Old
Raypilot650 - Works manually but not connected to MFD (mounted in pilothouse)
Raypilot 65 remote - Does not work.
Raydata - does not work looking for suitable replacement (mounted on flybridge)
Ray210VHF works (mounted in pilothouse). Flybridge has a different brand.

There are also what appears to be 2 possible GPS antennas on the arch. One is a D-Beacon RX unit I assume may no longer be active. The other looks similar but has a metal antenna on top. GPS works so I assume its connected to one of these.

Based on this, what can be used and interfaced with the new stuff and what do I need?
What should be replaced and with what?
What is a good AIS to add?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-13-20, 02:20 PM
RE: Learning and upgrading my system
Hello Tranquility Bay and welcome to the Raymarine forum,

Please see my recommendations below,

New
Axiom 9RV-9" MFD 3D + 600w (mounted in pilothouse)-all set
Quantum 18" Q24W (wifi model) w/ Pwr Cbl-all set

Old
Raypilot650 - Works manually but not connected to MFD (mounted in pilothouse)-
I normally recommend using an autopilot for as many hours as possible. This pilot did have seatalk. You could try to interface it with the E22158 ST1-STNG converter. In theory it will work with the Axiom however due to the gap in age between the products there would be no guarantee.

Raypilot 65 remote - Does not work.
I would delete this. If you did want to replace it the current Autopilot remote is the Smartcontroller E15023

Raydata - does not work looking for suitable replacement (mounted on flybridge) The current replacement for this is the i50 tridata E70060.

Ray210VHF works (mounted in pilothouse). Flybridge has a different brand.
If this works you can leave it. If you want to upgrade it I would recommend the Ray 63 E70516.

There are also what appears to be 2 possible GPS antennas on the arch. One is a D-Beacon RX unit I assume may no longer be active. The other looks similar but has a metal antenna on top. GPS works so I assume its connected to one of these.

What is a good AIS to add?
I would add the AIS350 for receive only. the AIS700 for transmit and receive.
05-17-20, 08:09 AM (This post was last modified: 05-17-20 09:21 PM by Tom - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CC11] Learning and upgrading my system
Thanks Chris. Exactly what I was looking for.
05-18-20, 10:45 AM
Your welcome, thank you for the feedback,

Chris,
05-25-20, 07:09 PM
Hi Chris, i have a similar situation - older Raytheon/Raymarine installation on the boat I purchased (except I've added an eS128).

Is that Smartcontroller E15023 you mention above the only current remote that will work with the Raypilot 650? The autopilot itself works fine and pretty much does everything I need it to so I really don't want to spend a lot to replace it, but I do miss having a remote. Just wondering if there are other alternatives that I might find in the used market.

Also, from the literature and the picture of the cable connection, it looks like the E15023 just plugs right into that older SeaTalk network, yes?

Thanks....Randy
06-04-20, 10:00 AM
The Smart controller and the S100 will both work with Raymarine Seatalk Autopilots, They have a base station that connects to Seatalk.
The Smart controller you charge with a Seatalk cable. The S100 takes AAA batteries.
06-06-20, 09:58 AM
Great, thx Chris. Given the price difference is not substantial, think I’ll go with the Smart Controller, with its extra functionality.