Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] [TG11] Smartpilot S1 and Axiom 9 RV
05-09-20, 10:59 AM (This post was last modified: 05-13-20 01:37 AM by Tom - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[TG11] Smartpilot S1 and Axiom 9 RV
My boat has the smartpilot S1 installed with the fluxgate, rudder position but the hydrolic motor is bad. I just upgraded to the Axiom 9rv.

I would like to know if the smartpilot with NO head can connect to the Axiom via nmea0183 or Seatalk 1 into my nmea2k backbone?

The reason for this question is I would rather replace the pump and use the axiom to control the autopilot instead of spending 2k on a replacement/upgraded autopilot.

so I guess its 2 questions

1 - Will the S1 interface with my axiom over nmea2k or ST1 and if so what cables will i need

2 - Can i run the S1 just with the Axiom 9rv or do I need a new head unit and if not which head units work with it

Thanks
Bill
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-13-20, 01:43 AM
RE: [TG11] Smartpilot S1 and Axiom 9 RV
Hello Bill,

Has your S1's display failed too, not just the pump?

The S1 requires a dedicated pilot display, you cannot use just the Axiom as you can with a modern Evolution pilot. The limiting factor here is the S1's software. You can replace the S1's ST6002 with a p70S or p70RS. Connect on direct Seatalk1 through an A06047 (400mm) or A06073 (1m) adaptor cable, not via a Seatalk1-SeatalkNG convertor.

You can connect the Axiom to the pilot's ST1 via a convertor (parts E22158 + A06045 400mm or A06075 1m Devicenet-STNG adaptor) and this will offer pilot waypoint navigation (Track mode), but not control. You still need the ST6002/p70S/p70RS.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
05-14-20, 06:19 AM
RE: [TG11] Smartpilot S1 and Axiom 9 RV
I didnt realize i could use the P70 with the S1. The head still works but its very scratched up so thats why I was wondering if just the axiom could control it. This is good info.
Thanks again!