Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[DG] [DG11] Seapilot & Raymarine
05-13-20, 01:58 AM (This post was last modified: 05-14-20 09:14 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[DG11] Seapilot & Raymarine
Hello. I just bought a Raymarine Element 9HV and I’m just now in the process of installing it on my boat. I have a few questions regarding the navigation chart that came bundled with the hardware.

The chart is SeaPilot (the S/W on the microSD-card is named “Lighthouse_Seapilot_Sweden_May23.rx6”), and I understand that you’re able to run a few variants of charts (Navionics, C-Map, LightHouse NOAA). SeaPilot itself is a chart that’s been pretty popular over here in Sweden, and I’ve used it myself on my iPad for navigation over the past years. But … I can’t find any specific information when reading the manual(s), browsing various Raymarine websites etc. I also read that Raymarine acquired SeaPilot back in 2018, so you’d think that there should be some information regarding the charts on Raymarine’s sites, but the only info I see is a link to the seapilot.com website, and that site only speaks about the mobile apps …

Anyway, being a premium subscriber of seapilot (meaning I get chart updates one year at a time and can use the chart on any of the devices I want) I’d like to know the following:

– How do I see to that the SeaPilot chart on my Raymarine-hardware is up to date? Is updates pushed out and I’m able to install it directly on my plotter?
– Am I eligible to getting the same update(s) through my current SeaPilot-subscription? How do I make sure that my account is synced/linked?
– Does the SeaPilot chart work the same was as your other chart-brands? I mean, are there any differences or shortcomings using SeaPilot? (I am more specifically thinking of the ability to record depth when I’m navigating waters, like adding depth on top of the chart).

I posted the very same questions directly to SeaPilot customer service two weeks ago, but haven’t heard anything back.

Again, I haven’t yet installed the plotter on my boat so I can’t test things out yet, but it would be nice to get some information regarding the above directly from someone that has own experience or know the ins and outs.

regards,
Markus
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-15-20, 09:12 AM
RE: [DG11] Seapilot & Raymarine
Hi Markus,
Thankyou for your enquiry,

I have discussed further with our product managers and they advise the following,

For the moment there are no possibilities to update the Seapilot charts on the SD card.
There is no synchronization between charts on the SD card and the Seapilot app. Charts in the Seapilot app are still updated regularly.
It is not yet possible to log any depth data to Seapilot charts. In that case I have to advise you to use Navionics charts.

Kind regards

Derek
05-16-20, 12:29 PM
Hi Derek, and thanks for your reply.

So, it seems that the SeaPilot-chart is a one-off history as far as it goes on using it on my Raymarine Element 9-unit? I guess it's what it is, but if I read between the lines, you're saying that things might change, no?

But anyway, if I want to be assured that I have a chart installed that is update:able during 2020, has the ability to record my own sonar maps, I need to use a Navionics chart? I'm sorry for asking but since I'm a newbie when it comes to chart:ing together with depth recording i just want to know the best way of dealing with software.

A perhaps side note, but still: I have read that importing GPX-routes/coordinates isn't possible through wifi? Is that true? Seems like a super-bummer not to be able to say – plot a route on my computer/device at home and then sync my Element 9 when I get to the boat. I mean, come on … having to fiddle with saving the track/route to a MicroSD-card at home, and then have to switch SD-cards in the boat, import the route and then switch back again to the proper chart-card … really doesn't sound like a smooth operation? Ay news regarding s S/W-update that makes route-importing easy?

So to summarise: please give me a recommendation on what type/brand of chart I need to be able to use my newly purchased hardware plotter the best way (that is, using it for both navigation and depth examination). And also, pls give me a hint of any progress of adding wifi-sync/import/export of routes.

(I heard some guy from you guys talking on YT about a forthcoming update, making it possible to mirror the sonar screen onto an iPad/device, which sound really nice. Let's hope that all of this gets into a reality real soon!)
05-20-20, 02:35 AM
Hi Markus,
Thanks for your feedback.

The Navionics charts is the route to go to be able to update periodically through the Navionics app and to record your own sonar data.

At this time, the only way to import .GPX files is through a mSD, this is open for review and the plan is to expand this capability, as yet no time frame identified.

Our suggestion would be to contact Navionics direct since they can advise the options for you local area and further afield if you enjoy passagemaking, they will also guide you through the chart download process and how you achieve updates too.

We will always publish the features and benefits of the updates as they occur and so please keep an eye on our website and join us on the raymarine facebook pages too, since we will promote the new features on both these media.
Kind regards
Derek