Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[DG] [DG11] connection to Furuno radar
05-13-20, 01:29 PM (This post was last modified: 05-14-20 06:05 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[DG11] connection to Furuno radar
I have recently purchased a Raymarine Axiom MFD and would like to connect my radar to it as I understand on reading the documentation that the Furuno radar model 1621 (which I already have installed on my boat) outputs NMEA 0183 data. I thought that all I would need is a device to convert NMEA 0183 to either NMEA 2000 or SeaTalk (which Raymarine use) to connect to my Raymarine device but I have been told that it may not be as straightforward as that and may not even be possible depending on what the output from my Foruno radar gives. Do you have any experience of doing this and if so, could you let me know what I would need to achieve this please.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-14-20, 06:09 AM
RE: [DG11] connection to Furuno radar
Hi Clive,

Thank you for your enquiry.

the Furuno radar will output a very different signal to that used by the Raymarine AXIOM and you will not be able to display te radar data on the AXIOM screen.

If the Furuno display has navigation data such as heading, GPS, waypoint data, then this will be shared through NMEA0183, you will need an NMEA0183 to NMEA2000 interface, from a 3rd party company, someone like Actisense make a very good NGW-1 interface for NMEA 0183 navigation data.

I hope this helps?
Regards
Derek
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply