Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] [TG11] a65 Questions
05-14-20, 01:53 AM (This post was last modified: 05-19-20 01:56 AM by Tom - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[TG11] a65 Questions
Hi, I'm looking at updating my MFD from the A50D classic to a a65 or a67 (I've found both new old stock)
I understand that these units use the lighthouse software... Can you update them to the latest v3 to enable the startline functionality I have seen in various video's, My yacht is mainly used for racing so I'm looking for improvements in boat performance...
I also like the idea of screen mirroring for the crew if this is possible... My yacht is now equipped with the following

T070 Racemaster
A50D Classic plotter
Micronet Wi-fi Puc
Seatalk1 to seatalk Ng converter
ST60 Tridata
ST60 Wind
ST60 Close Haul Wind
230E VHF

I am about to remove the Gyro Compass and SHS unit as I can now use the T070 for my compass input to the plotter...
I also have a AIS250 unit to fit at some point.

Thanks In Advance

Tim
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-19-20, 02:09 AM
RE: [TG11] a65 Questions
Hello Tim,

We've already discussed the LH3 and screen mirroring on your other post (if you can avoid asking the same question multiple times, that will help us use our finite resources more effectively), but on your other questions:

Quote:I am about to remove the Gyro Compass and SHS unit as I can now use the T070 for my compass input to the plotter...

The Smart Heading Sensor (SHS) will provide better quality heading data than the T070. It's a rate-gyro stabilised, 10Hz heading output as opposed to the T070's unstabilised fluxgate.

Quote:I also have a AIS250 unit to fit at some point.

Are you sure you want to do that? AIS250 was almost a decade ago, and only has NMEA0183, no NMEA2000 / SeatalkNG, so you would need a 3rd-party NMEA0183<->NMEA2000 interface (that support 38.4k AIS) to connect it to an a-Series which has no 0183. I would not recommend spending time and money trying to do that integration now, I would get a (more) modern AIS that supports NMEA2000.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
05-20-20, 03:44 PM
Sorry Tom... I posted this days before my other post... and after a few days (not counting the weekend) it hadn't appeared, So I posted again thinking it had failed

I will keep my current compass system as well as the T070... Although am I now correct in thinking I can add either the ev100 or ar200 now I have the a67 fitted

Kind Regards

Tim
05-20-20, 07:35 PM
No problem, Tim, understood. We try to keep up with the incoming post queue but sometimes a backlog can build up, I can understand thinking your original message had gone astray.

Yes, you can an an EV pilot (or just EV1 for heading data) or an AR200 and they will give you very accurate heading data. The EV1 has an autopilot course computer function as well as outputting heading and attitude data, whereas the AR200 combines heading/attitude with very accurate GPS, but no autopilot function.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
05-23-20, 02:39 AM
Hi Tom.... As you suggest in your earlier post I will be keeping my SHS and fluxgate compass.... Once I have installed my a67 I presume I will still have the ability to re-linearized the compass through the a67 MFD..

Thanks in advance

Tim
05-26-20, 10:22 PM
Hello Tim,

No, I am sorry to say that a67 cannot calibrate an SHS system. The SHS was retired some time before the a67 was introduced and doesn't have a connection to the legacy Seatalk network that the SHS used for its calibration process. From memory, the last displays that could calibrate the SHS were the Widescreen MFDs.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.

05-27-20, 01:48 AM
Hi Tom... I'm getting a bit confused now.... So the SHS and gyro are too old to calibrate through the a67 MFD, But the AR200 needs an axiom unit running Light House 3 to be calibrated?.... I can't find much info on the EV1 compass... But if that is compatible with the a67 MFD I will change over to that?
Any information would be most helpful...

Kind Regards

Tim
05-31-20, 08:32 PM
Hi Tim,

Quote:...the AR200 needs an axiom unit running Light House 3 to be calibrated?

Correct. The AR200 was introduced to provide the dedicated, integrated position and attitude data that enables the Augmented Reality views on thermal and visible-light cameras on Axiom displays, and so isn't directly supported (that is, calibration) by earlier displays.

Quote:I can't find much info on the EV1 compass... But if that is compatible with the a67 MFD I will change over to that?

Yes, you can calibrate EV1 using a67, though the autopilot calibration menu.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.