Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] [TG11] new axiom old instuments/auto pilot
05-15-20, 10:13 AM (This post was last modified: 05-19-20 11:41 PM by Tom - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[TG11] new axiom old instuments/auto pilot
hello
i got all my new stuff
a few questions
everything is new except the auto pilot and wind instruments (seatalk)
1) i have an st6000+ control and an a100/300 computer
you recomended using the nmea 183 not seatalk for the autopilot to connect to the ng network and recomended the Actisense NGW-1-ISO-STNG can i use the nmea 0183 to seatalkng converter hub?(one yellow two whites two blues)
Also when these 3 types of networks are connected Where should they get their power? the ng hub will be hooked up to an axiom 12. does it get power there?
I think it gets power from the autopilot as well. The hubs can also be powered, i dont want to add multiple power.
2) My AIS700 will also be hooked to the ng . does it get power there or does it need it's own power supply?
3) the axiom has its own built in antenna and i have the AR200 hooked into the network. Do i still need a gps antenna?
If so mine is 20 years old, should i get a new one?
4) ok lastly... I have the cam210 hooked up to the powered HS5 switch. Does the camera need additional power? It has a power wire but i don't think I need it .
As you can see I spent alot of money :( still not back to work
thanks in advance
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-20-20, 12:13 AM
RE: [TG11] new axiom old instuments/auto pilot
Hello robo,

Quote:i have an st6000+ control and an a100/300 computer
you recomended using the nmea 183 not seatalk for the autopilot to connect to the ng network and recomended the Actisense NGW-1-ISO-STNG can i use the nmea 0183 to seatalkng converter hub?(one yellow two whites two blues)

Personally I would always use Seatalk rather than NMEA0183 to connect an old pilot to new MFD (via our part E22158.
  • Seatalk: bi-directional communication without the risk of NMEA data loops; guaranteed level of compatibility with all the parts from one manufacturer; slow 2Hz heading data on the MFD
  • NMEA0183: bi-directional communication not recommended; 3rd-party interface; up to 10Hz Fast Heading possible on later autopilots (T150/T400/S1/S2/S3, but not T100/T300)

If you were to go NMEA0183, no, you can't use the Raymarine interface: it's designed purely to send GLL GPS position data from NMEA2000 to 0183-only VHFs.

Quote:Also when these 3 types of networks are connected Where should they get their power? the ng hub will be hooked up to an axiom 12. does it get power there?
I think it gets power from the autopilot as well. The hubs can also be powered, i dont want to add multiple power.

Very good. You should never have multiple power supplies in a network - the NMEA2000 specification forbids it, and it can cause comms issues or product damage. If you use an ST1-STNG convertor then that will pass power through to STNG: you need to either cut the red wire somewhere in between, or make sure that there isn't a second power supply on STNG. The Axiom will not supply power, the only Raymarine devices that do (optionally, switchable) are autopilot Course Computers such as the current ACU200/300/400.

Quote:2) My AIS700 will also be hooked to the ng . does it get power there or does it need it's own power supply?

It needs its own supply. It draws too much current when transmitting to be powered from STNG.

Quote:3) the axiom has its own built in antenna and i have the AR200 hooked into the network. Do i still need a gps antenna?
If so mine is 20 years old, should i get a new one?

The AR200 is a brilliant GPS that will give better than half-metre accuracy even without Differential in good conditions (we don't have Differential here in Australia and commonly see 40cm accuracy.) You don't need to use your old antenna or get a new one.

Quote:4) ok lastly... I have the cam210 hooked up to the powered HS5 switch. Does the camera need additional power? It has a power wire but i don't think I need it .

The HS5 does not provide Power Over Ethernet (or pass it through if you have another PoE source) so your camera needs either a PoE Injector (part E32141) or a direct 12V supply (not 24V.) Don't use a non-marine approved PoE source.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply