Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] [TG11] make Axiom source of depth: AirMar N2K
05-17-20, 10:35 AM (This post was last modified: 05-20-20 02:09 AM by Tom - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[TG11] make Axiom source of depth: AirMar N2K
I just added an Airmar NMEA 2000 depth sounder to my boat and hooked it up to my N2K backbone. I expected to see it as another source of Depth when I went to my Axiom/Network/Data Sources/Depth. But all I see is the Axiom transducer. Any clue as to why the Airmar doesn't show up in the list ?
Attached are 3 pics, 1st is the list of all my N2K devices (the Airmar is the one that starts with 44-203...). The 2nd pic is the Product info for the Airmar (so clearly the Axiom sees the device). The 3rd pic is the data readout from the Airmar.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-20-20, 02:13 AM
RE: [TG11] make Axiom source of depth: AirMar N2K
Hello gulfoslides,

Thanks, the photos are very useful. I suspect the third one contains the answer: the Airmar transducer isn't providing a depth value (just dashes, meaning data-invalid.) The Axiom (reasonably enough) probably will only regard devices transmitting valid depth data in the data source selection screen.

Is the boat out of the water? Don't run a depth sounder (especially a high-power fishfinder sounder) out of the water. On high-performance systems you can cause irreparable damage very quickly by running a transducer dry.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
05-21-20, 10:57 AM
So the boat is IN the water. And still not seeing depth.

But then I called AirMar and was told to test the AirMar P79 in a 5 gallon bucket of water. When I did that, the Axiom began to see depth! WaLa ! So then I moved the P79 back to the spot I had it in the boat, and once again, no depth...

So then I moved it closer to the center-line of the boat (in the bildge) and WaLa, the Axiom started seeing depth!

Moral of the story: hook up the AirMar to the Axiom, TEST the location you plan to install it on and make sure you have a depth readout. If you don't see a valid depth readout you have a blockage. Move the AirMar to a new location until you have a depth reading in the Axiom.
05-22-20, 12:01 AM
Yes, a very good point, thanks for feeding that back for the benefit of other users.

Don't ever run a transducer dry: a good way to do a pre-installation test for an in-hull mounting location is to put the transducer in a bag of water inside the hull, and move the bag around to find the best spot.

Also, don't ever just glue an in-hull transducer down, always use a wet-box filled with propylene glycol.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.