Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] [TG11] Avoiding Interference With Multiple Transducers; Axiom Pro
05-18-20, 04:02 PM (This post was last modified: 05-20-20 10:48 PM by Tom - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[TG11] Avoiding Interference With Multiple Transducers; Axiom Pro
Currently have with my Axiom Pro the following Tranducers;
-R109LH.
-Pair RV212.
Adding a 2KW R111C-LM in hull, with a CP570.
My question, does the Axiom run all transducers at once?
If running the R109LH and the RV212; (the transducers are 10' and 12' apart).
Will I get Interference if both running on high/low?
Can I shut 1 transducer off?
Reason why I'm asking, when running in the ocean, I get a choppy bottom, and choppy water Column running at 24 knots when deeper than 50'.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-20-20, 11:09 PM
RE: [TG11] Avoiding Interference With Multiple Transducers; Axiom Pro
Hello Fish On,

The Axiom displays will do the following:
  • If no sounder channel is displayed on-screen (e.g. you're only looking at chart): the Axiom will pick one channel from an internal look-up table to ping in order to get depth data
  • If DownVision is the only sounder channel is displayed: ditto, the sounder will pick one channel to give depth data. This is because SV cannot give depth data as it doesn't look straight down.
  • If any other channel is displayed: then that is the only channel that will transmit.
There is one exception to this, that at the current time the RV transducer's High Chirp Sonar channel will always transmit.

Quote:If running the R109LH and the RV212; (the transducers are 10' and 12' apart).
Will I get Interference if both running on high/low?

Interference between transducers isn't primary directly from one transducer to another, it's via the reflected sound energy coming back from the bottom which is spread-out enough that it hits the whole hull pretty much equally. For this reason the separation between transducers on the hull makes little difference. What does make a difference is separation in frequency, and Low and High should produce little or no interference to each other's images.

Quote:Reason why I'm asking, when running in the ocean, I get a choppy bottom, and choppy water Column running at 24 knots when deeper than 50'.

Can you send us some diagnostic sounder images so that we can see what the reason for the poor performance at speed is? You should not be getting aeration problems with a properly-installed through-hull faired transducer like the R109, and if you are, adding an in-hull is not the solution I would suggest (even more prone to aeration.) Perhaps you have a noise problem instead, which another transducer might or might not do anything to address.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply