Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does Cartography network to multiple displays?
06-09-16, 10:20 AM
Does Cartography network to multiple displays?
My customer purchased new components a year ago which I installed and now he wishes to add additional functionality and new mfd's. The system installed last year included:
EV200 Autopilot
P70R control
type 1 hyd pump
E15023 Smart Controller
E7D MFD E62355-NAG
A66090 50/200khz bronze thru hull TD

He wants to add:
ES 97, ES98, Q24C Quantum Chirp Radar w/ data cable and possibly an AIS
Will the Navionics+ Cartography network to the ES9 series displays from the E7D or does each MFD require cartography installed? I presume the gps signals from the multiple MFD's will be disabled except for one to avoid system confusion. Therefore there will be a designated Master display, correct?
No software revisions have been downloaded since the install a year ago and I would need to check for updates needed to existing components to insure compatibility.
He desires the larger 9" displays for visual clarity and this will allow charts displayed full screen on one with radar on the second as well as overlay capability on either. The e7d would move to the seldom used inside steering station.
Does this system sound reasonable?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-09-16, 10:41 AM (This post was last modified: 06-10-16 10:07 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: Does Cartography network to multiple displays?
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Yachtspecco,

Q1. Does Cartography network to multiple displays?
A1. Yes. However the MFDs must be interfaced via an Ethernet network. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

Q2. I presume the gps signals from the multiple MFD's will be disabled except for one to avoid system confusion. Therefore there will be a designated Master display, correct?
A2. The MFD's Data Sources feature (HOME->SET-UP->SYSTEM SETTINGS->DATA SOURCES) must be used when more than one source of any specific type of data is present within the system. This feature is utilized by the system to specify which source(s) will be used by the system. The Data Master MFD will typically be the one which has been interfaced as a spur to the SeaTalkng backbone. Should more than one MFD be interfaced as a spur to the SeaTalkng backbone (sometimes done for redundancy purposes), then any one of the spurred MFDs may be designated as the system's Data Master.

Q3. He desires the larger 9" displays for visual clarity and this will allow charts displayed full screen on one with radar on the second as well as overlay capability on either. The e7d would move to the seldom used inside steering station.
A3. This is indeed possible ... see the response to Q1.
06-10-16, 09:56 AM (This post was last modified: 06-10-16 10:12 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks for the quick response. I don't understand the link you provided refers to a Seatalk hs network not a Seatalk ng network which both the currently installed and the proposed new equipment utilize. There is already a ng network in place with backbone and terminators fitted. Are you saying an additional hs network will need to be in place including a network switch for the 3 displays to share cartography, Chirp radar, and depth? Once the new equipment is installed the only Seatalk 1 equipment aboard would be the Smart Controller RF box as the existing Pathfinder display and analog radar are being replaced by the new equipment.
John
06-10-16, 10:12 AM
Yachtspecco

Per the referenced FAQ, when interfaced to one another via an Ethernet network (ex. via an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable or pair of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cables which have been joined with a HS5 RayNet Network Switch, etc.), the a/c/e/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs will share all data and system resources with one another via this Ethernet network connection (exception: NTSC/PAL video). This is not so for systems which in which the MFDs to one another via a SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 backbone instead of via an Ethernet network. Given then number of devices having an Ethernet communications interface which will be added to the system, it will be necessary to install a HS5 RayNet Network Switch.