Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] [TG11] Loss of GPS satellite fix
05-25-20, 10:49 PM (This post was last modified: 05-31-20 11:34 PM by Tom - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[TG11] Loss of GPS satellite fix
Hi-
I have a axion pro(latest/updated SW) as a master networked with my es98(LH3- latest update), ev150, Sirius SR150, rd418hd, FLIR M132 and a 150gps ant. Every time I put a waypoint in the AP within less than 5 min of running, the AP drops the “go to” with a “route complete” warning. I can put a direct heading in the AP and it seems to work fine. I noticed “satellite fix lost” alarms in alarm history. Ive tried switching from the 150 to the internal antenna with no change/same results. Please help!

Bill
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-31-20, 11:38 PM
RE: [TG11] Loss of GPS satellite fix
Hello Bill,

If you lose position fix, any active navigation will be cancelled. The question is why you're losing GPS fix. Can you please send screenshots/photos/video of the contents of your GPS status page, when each of the internal antenna or the 150 (I assume it's an RS150 you have, not a GA150?) are in use, so that we can see why you're losing fix?

There is a lot of information on why you might be losing GPS fix and how to diagnose it here.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
06-01-20, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the reply. I should note that I was incorrect in my original post in that I have a RS130, not the RS150.

I would also like to add that the system worked fine with the ES128 as the master. That unit was swapped with the Axiom Pro12 which is when the problem started. This was a take off unit not a new install(updated to latest SW and master reset at time of install).

Please see the attached as requested.
06-01-20, 07:43 PM
Hello Bill,

Thanks. A few questions:

1. The dates of the Lost Fix alarms shown in the history are 24th May - have you used the system since, and did you see fix problems then? Was anything different between then and when you took the photos? The fix quality shown in the photos is excellent.
  2. When you get the Route Complete message, I assume that the next waypoint is still some distance off? How far, approximately? What is your Waypoint Arrival Radius in your Alarm setup? Do you have a Seatalk1 - SeatalkNG convertor in the system? (I am looking possible early waypoint-arrival alerts in a couple of systems where there's an ST1-STNG convertor.)
  3. The Axiom Pro and eS show different GPS fix source information in the satellite status page title-bar, although they show the same fix data. It's possible there's some confusion in the system configuration about what GPS source is in use, and this might cause your false Route Complete alert. Could you check what's shown in Home > Settings > Network > Data Sources on the Master display? It would be a good idea in this system to manually select the RS130 as the source - if this is already selected, please toggle to Auto and then back to Manual/RS130 in order to be sure that both displays' setup holds the same state. You can get this sort of problem after an MFD change (though the reset should have resolved it), or if a source selection is done whilst one display is de-powered.

Thanks,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
06-02-20, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the response-

Answers:
1.The dates of the Lost Fix alarms shown in the history are 24th May - have you used the system since, and did you see fix problems then? Was anything different between then and when you took the photos?
A: yes, on the 25th- same result.

2. When you get the Route Complete message, I assume that the next waypoint is still some distance off? How far, approximately? What is your Waypoint Arrival Radius in your Alarm setup? Do you have a Seatalk1 - SeatalkNG convertor in the system? (I am looking possible early waypoint-arrival alerts in a couple of systems where there's an ST1-STNG convertor.)
A. a)yes- it varies... sometime it is 14mi= other I saw about 3mi. I did notice when it did thaon one occasion (I only noticed it 1 time because I checked), the MFD said the WP was 80+ mi away and I know foe a fat it was less than 15mi- I restarted the unit and the distance came back to 14.xxmi. B) yes its set really close-350ft I believe. C). Im not 100% sure. the RS130 is plugged directly into the MFD using the STng port.

3. Under Home>Settings>Network> Data sources, it was set as follows: GPS- RS130, GPS Datum-Internal, Time and Date-RS130.
I manually selected the RS130 under GPS Datum now. Do you think that was the conflict causing the issue?
06-02-20, 09:49 PM
Hello Bill,

No, the Datum source wouldn't have caused this kind of problem I would say: although mis-matched datums could give you a position error:
  1. both Internal and RS130 ought to have been on the same default WGS84 setting anyway
  2. a datum error would have a much smaller magnitude than that
  3. a datum error should be consistent over time

Did you toggle the GPS position source (e.g. manual > auto > manual again)? In software systems it's possible to sometimes get two components or services which each think that the state of the system/setting is different; toggling the setting gets them both in synch, so it's well worth doing just to be sure. I have seen this fix similar-sounding issues in the past.

If you're no further forward after this then I will ask you to record NMEA2000 data on your MFD when the problem is occurring, so that we can look at the traffic and see what's happening. Please record at least a couple of instances of the problem, ideally somewhere between a few minutes and an hour or so of NMEA2000 data, and then post that recorded data back here for me to have a look.

Thanks,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.

06-03-20, 06:59 AM
Ok I will go back and toggle...

Do you want me to toggle both MFD’s? Do I toggle just in the GPS source or do it in the GPS, GPS Datum and GPS Time tabs?
06-05-20, 12:11 AM
Hello Bill,

No need to toggle both MFDs, the changes will go over the network and be echoed on the second display. And no need to do Datum and Time, only GPS (position) itself.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.