Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[JB] [JB11] AXIOM Pro Sailing Functions + Wpt glitch
05-26-20, 08:20 AM (This post was last modified: 06-10-20 12:01 AM by Jules - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[JB11] AXIOM Pro Sailing Functions + Wpt glitch
Hi Team,

I recently purchased a 9” Axiom Pro MFD and this weekend was my first post lockdown opportunity to try it out. I’ve had a few issues that I wondered if you could help me with:

1) Scroll wheel issue.
When turning anticlockwise, this zooms out / scrolls up or left through options. When turned clockwise, the behaviour is jumpy and inconsistent. I have a video of this but it’s too big to upload. Is this a software issue I can address myself or should I return the unit to the vendor in case it’s a hardware problem (it’s a recent purchase).

2) Spontaneous clearing of active waypoint info.
I have found that unit spontaneously stops navigating to waypoints. On further testing this seems to be triggered by the following two warnings displaying: “AIS connection lost” and “GPS fix lost”. These both occur intermittently (frequency every 1-2hrs) and resolve almost instantly, but leave me needing to re-set the waypoint as the “go to”, which is tedious. If this is a software issue with lighthouse, please could it be fixed in the next update. If it is a device specific issue, how can I resolve it? For avoidance of ambiguity, the waypoint data is not deleted, the device simply stop navigating to the waypoint, requiring it to be re-entered as destination.

3) Inconsistent polar data.
I’m using the X-332 polar data, but I get inconsistent target boatspeeds on port and starboard tack. This happened consistently over a 2hr upwind leg. I have attached 2 pictures of the display on port and starboard tack, showing virtually the same TWA and TWS (and AWA and AWS), but materially different target speeds as an example. Therefore I don’t think it’s an issue with the calculation data. Is it a true wind vs ground wind issue? The only difference I could see was cross tide on starboard tack (higher target boatspeed displayed), and pointing into tide on port tack (lower target boatspeed displayed).

4) Inconsistent “sailing time to wpt”.
This seems to work accurately when sailing upwind/downwind where laylines are involved, but when I can point direct at the waypoint it gets confused and gives an erratic/much too high result. Again I have attached a screenshot showing me pointing at a wpt, getting the correct “normal” TTG, but a much higher sailing TTG. I would expect the two to be the same if my COG was “to” the mark. Note that the sailing TTG was jumping jumping between 2 days and 2hrs over a matter of seconds on this occasion.

For reference, I am using an AXIOM Pro 9” with the latest lighthouse update (installed just before setting out). The MFD is connected via SeatalkNG to the following datasources:
• AIS700 (AIS data)
• EV1 course computer (heading data)
• ACU100 pilot controller
• Micro talk gateway (wind, speed through water, depth data).
The micro talk network is longstanding and has been property calibrated over several years of racing. The EV1 has been autocalibrated and the autocalibration agreed back to the micro net compass that was previously used.

Apologies for the seemingly long list of teething issues. Would just like to say that the installation of all the above kit was very simple worked immediately, the displays are intuitive and easy to use, and on the whole I am very happy with the various products.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-10-20, 12:07 AM
RE: [JB11] AXIOM Pro Sailing Functions + Wpt glitch
Hello Spitway,

Welcome to the Raymarine forum,

Apologies for the delayed response, we currently have limited resources to attend to the forum.

Your "scroll wheel" issue needs to be rectified by our service center. Please contact the retailer you purchased this unit from. We can address other issues when you have the unit working better.

Happy boating and kind regards
Jules
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply