Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] [TG11] Garmin VHF 315 GPS connection to SeaTalK1
05-26-20, 04:47 PM (This post was last modified: 06-01-20 09:03 PM by Tom - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[TG11] Garmin VHF 315 GPS connection to SeaTalK1
Hello,

I have a new Garmin 315 VHF radio and would like to make a connection from my Raymarine chart Plotter to receive GPS info. The old Ray230 radio has a SeaTalk1 plugged into it. What can I do to make this connection. The Garmin manual says I can use 2000 or 0183. Isnt just possible to splice into the old SeaTalk1 wire to the 0183 coming off the new radio? Or do I need some converter? Thank You in advance.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-01-20, 09:40 PM
RE: [TG11] Garmin VHF 315 GPS connection to SeaTalK1
Hello Hilliard,

NMEA0183 and Seatalk1 are very different networks and completely incompatible, don't attempt to splice them together: it definitely won't work. You need a Seatalk1 to SeatalkNG convertor, part E22158 (SeatalkNG is NMEA2000 with Raymarine connectors) plus a Devicenet-STNG adaptor cable, part A06075.

If you already have an NMEA2000 network then you you can connect the ST1-STNG convertor into this, but make sure that you connect it via a (spliced) backbone cable (via one of our blue connectors), have only a single point of power supply for combined network, and have exactly two backbone terminators (the blue blanking plugs supplied with the convertor are terminators.)

The point of joining via a backbone cable is to make sure that there are only 2 terminators in the network without leaving empty sockets in either network with exposed 12V pins and open to condensation and corrosion.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply