Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] [TG11] Speed sensor problems at low speed with i70s and DST800
05-28-20, 10:55 AM (This post was last modified: 06-02-20 02:08 AM by Tom - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[TG11] Speed sensor problems at low speed with i70s and DST800
Hey there, I've got a DST-800 triducer connected to an ITC-5, and an i70s display. At normal cruising speed 5-7 knots everything is fine speed is pretty accurate if speed through water drops to below about 1.5 or 2 knots the speed shown starts fluctuating wildly. Sometimes even tied to the dock the speed shows 100 kts!

I've been looking for some kind of a low speed filtering option or other and can't figure a way to calibrate this out, it's annoying cause it throws the log way off. Anybody got ideas? Is this a sensor issue, software issue, setting issue?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-02-20, 02:17 AM
RE: [TG11] Speed sensor problems at low speed with i70s and DST800
Hello brownr377,

This isn't a setup or calibration issue, and there's no setting that will resolve this. I've seen erratic and false high speed readings on both STW and wind-speed in the past be caused by noise signals being picked up on the transducer cabling. In one memorable instance a wind speed issue was being caused by noise from the invertor being used to charge a laptop when racing. The paddlewheel outputs 0..5V square-wave pulses at 5.5Hz per knot - if something else is putting a voltage onto the cable, the ITC5 can end up counting the wrong number of pulses and show the wrong speed.

This isn't a particularly easy one to test. The clearest diagnosis would be for a technical dealer to put an oscilloscope onto the signal wires when the problem is apparent and see what's there (it should be a completely stable 0V or 5V if the boat isn't moving, toggling slowly between the two if there is a little tide and the paddlewheel is spinning slowly). Alternatively, someone could check with a different ITC or transducer., perhaps it's a fault with one of these. The transducer cable run is also well worth checking, in case there's a break in the shielding or something like that.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply