Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] [TG11] AIS information on internet
05-28-20, 01:03 PM (This post was last modified: 06-05-20 01:48 AM by Tom - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[TG11] AIS information on internet
Hi all,

Not directly a Raymarine question but very relevant. I understand the difference between a Class A and Class B but i'm still unsure about journey details.

There seems to be no way of setting origin or destination with a class b transeiver ( particularly the AIS700 or AIS650), this feature is only available on a class A. However, when looking at online tracking websites ( Vessel finder, Marine traffic) journey details appear for some vessels that are definitely equipped with class b systems rather class A.

Question is: do these websites just automatically establish journey details from track and heading or are they entered some other way?

Many thanks,

Rom
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-05-20, 02:01 AM
RE: [TG11] AIS information on internet
Hello Rom,

I don't know where those sites source their information from, but the Class B AIS standard has no support for 'Voyage related data' as Class A does in its Message 5 (see https://www.itu.int/rec/R-REC-M.1371-5-201402-I/en for details and [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_identification_system[/url] for a more-readable explanation.)

Many larger private vessels do in fact fit Class A - are you sure that the vessels in question aren't doing so?

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
06-05-20, 05:47 AM
It appears that these Internet based apps build a database of various points from where AIS data is received. I have noticed that the Ferries on Long Island Sound will show multiple runs between two points as the ferry traverses it’s daily schedule.

I would expect that what you are seeing for class B AIS systems for not AIS defined start/destination data, but historical data based on where the vessel has been.

Just an observation.
06-05-20, 10:26 PM
I’ve used a smartphone app called OnCourse to report my position and destination to MarineTraffic. I do not have AIS onboard.
06-08-20, 08:25 AM
Hi Tom,

Thanks for the information. I believe i got my answer from Marine Traffic.

The reason the vessel name and other class b information wasn't available was because the information was being received via a satellite as no shore receiver was in the vicinity. Voyage data is determined from vessel location, so for a class B, if the vessel is underway you will see the origin but not the destination. If the vessel is stopped you will see it's last voyage. Class A will show origin and destination as you indicated.

That's for marine traffic, I am not sure how it works with other sites.

Thanks again,

Rom