Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Axiom/Quantum Upgrade questions
05-29-20, 05:12 PM
Axiom/Quantum Upgrade questions
Good Afternoon,
2006 Sailfish CC, Canvass T TOP

It’s time for an upgrade. And if Chuck hasn’t retired yet say hello for me. He was such a huge help with my last electrical fun and games event. The plan is this, to retire a C120 Classic MFD and associated radar and replace it with an Axiom 12” RV (E70369) and a Quantum Radar Q24C data cable / wifi (E70210).

My network as it sits before I start consists of Evolution A/P, ACU 100 (E70098), Pump (E12139), EV 1 Sensor core (E70096) and a P70R Color A/P Head (E22167). I also have a Yamaha Gateway, Raymarine AIS 250 receiver and a VHF. There is a SeaTalkNG Converter (R52131) and a 5 way connector (A06064).
Both the converter and the 5 way are fused, switched and powered. The autopilot(E70098) is fused, switched and powered, and the C120 is fused, switched and powered.

There is also a DSM 300 which doesn’t come into play and will be uninstalled.

From what I can figure to install the Axiom into the existing network I would need a SeaTalkNG adapter cable (A06045) to come from the power/NMEA output on the back of the Axiom. My next tie in would be the VHF and AIS. I am not too sure on this move. I suspect that there is a cable that needs to be spliced into the VHF/ AIS that will plug into the 5 way (A06064) but I am unsure of how to proceed with that.
Next is the auto pilot. This I will figure by using the wifi function of the quantum. I will also figure the set up by using the data cable (which to me seems like a better install).
The Autopilot components are wired according to the Raymarine requirements. EV 1 is connected to the network backbone by a spur cable (A06038). ACU 100 connected to the backbone by a spur cable (A06038) at a T (A06028). This backbone (A06033) goes directly into the blue port on the converter (R52131). The P70R connects directly to the converter by a spur cable as well. Yellow (ST 2 Adapter ?) connection goes to the C120 and a blue terminator completes the run.
I am guessing that I will need to uninstall the R52131 and install another A06064 and power that like the other? Then I would need an adapter cable to come out of the Axiom port (10 pin) and plug in to the 5 way connector.
The Quantum would connect to the Axiom via wifi and would be powered according to factory recommendation.

My list of considerations:
SeaTalkNG adapter cable (A06045f) to connect to the existing 5 way (A06064) from the Axiom
• A cable ( if there is one ) to tie the VHF/AIS into the 5 way
• A cable to come out of the Axiom and convert - to tie into a 5 way (new)
• Remove the converter (R52131) and replace with a 5 way and fuse, switch and power like the other.
• Tie in the A/P backbone, P70R A/P head to the new 5 way
• What would I need to connect the Quantum to the network via the data cable? A network switch?

What I need:
A cable to tie the VHF/AIS or a method to do this
A cable part # for the 10 pin port on the Axiom and a part # to convert it to SeaTalkNG and plug into a 5 way
A new 5 way (A06064).

I hope this makes sense, If not I can draw a picture to help if needed.
Have a great weekend and thanks for your time and effort.
chris
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-16-20, 12:13 PM
RE: Axiom/Quantum Upgrade questions
Hello solomon,

Please see my notes below,

My list of considerations:
SeaTalkNG adapter cable (A06045f) to connect to the existing 5 way (A06064) from the Axiom,
*Yes, the A06045 works for this, If you need more length the 1m version is A06075.

• A cable ( if there is one ) to tie the VHF/AIS into the 5 way
*There is. It is the NGW-1-STNG. This is a part made by actisense.

• Remove the converter (R52131) and replace with a 5 way and fuse, switch and power like the other.
*You do not have to remove the converter. I prefer to up-cycle converters by moving the power cable to the yellow port. The converter will then act as a five way.

• What would I need to connect the Quantum to the network via the data cable? A network switch?
*You do not need the HS5 switch. The cables supplied with the Quantum(wired installation) can plug directly into the back of the Axiom.

If the C120 is dash mounted you can also order the A80529 Adapter plate to fit the Axiom 12 into the C120 cutout.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply