Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AIS protocol for radios
06-20-16, 10:05 AM
AIS protocol for radios
Intuitively, it seems that we should have a system whereby if an AIS vessel is highlighted on the MFD, that the radio should be able to transmit to the vessel using the MMSI number shown on the MFD as part of the AIS data. Is this feature in existence or in prospect? In practice it is impractical to try to program in a vessel's MMSI number "on the fly" while cruising, in order to make a digital call. In practice, one can, at best, simply obtain the AIS vessel's name from the AIS data and call it by name on channel 9. AIS is helpful for this (better to call by name than calling "sports cruiser off my port bow" but to be able to "click and call" on MMSI would be very desireable. Is this feature in existence or in prospect?

Redleg
M/V Bounty (Sea Ray Sundancer 34)
C90w, i70, P70r, EV-200 Evolution autopilot
Huntington Harbour, California USA
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-20-16, 10:56 AM
RE: AIS protocol for radios
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Redlegvzv,

Thanks for the product feature inquiry. Unfortunately, the currently available software within Raymarine MFDs and VHF radios do not support this very good feature inquiry. A feature request will be logged to consider this feature for inclusion within a future a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD and VHF software update as well as within future product designs.

Please click here more information concerning product and feature suggestions.
06-20-16, 05:28 PM (This post was last modified: 06-21-16 08:30 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks!

Redleg
M/V Bounty (Sea Ray Sundancer 34)
C90w, i70, P70r, EV-200 Evolution autopilot
Huntington Harbour, California USA
06-21-16, 08:30 AM
You're welcome.