Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sirius 150 - low resolution Nexrad
06-16-16, 10:58 AM
Sirius 150 - low resolution Nexrad
I purchased a new Sirius 150 Weather Rx last September connected to an E120 display. It worked perfectly after installation. After the winter break, I renewed my weather subscription and the sat weather now works fine except the nexrad is displayed in extremely low resolution. All it shows is large square blocks instead of detailed precipitation radar returns-regardless of zoom level. I had my electronics tech switch the 150 from the E120 to my G series display without improvement.
the P/E is E70161
the S/N is E701610630231
the ESN is 97VX0403
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-16-16, 12:15 PM (This post was last modified: 06-16-16 12:17 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: Sirius 150 - low resolution Nexrad
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Dan,

The resolution of the NOWRAD weather graphics layer provided by SiriusXM Satellite Marine Weather is designed to support viewing this data a regional level rather than local level. Please see the screen snapshots below taken from an E-Series Classic MFD which has been interfaced to a SR150. The detail shown is considered to be normal for Raymarine products displaying SiriusXM Satellite Marine Weather. While it is possible to command the Weather application to range in further than the scales shown within the screen snapshots, a pilexlated appearance of the weather graphics layer should be expected. Should your results differ from these, then please attach some screen snapshots to your response.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=314]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=315]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=316]

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

06-16-16, 01:26 PM (This post was last modified: 06-17-16 08:18 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks for your reply. That is exactly the screen shots I get. I have to say that the resolution on a third party SiriusXM weather product is as good as you see on your iphone. This resolution is really unacceptable. We get small but strong, pop up squalls in Long Island Sound that are vital to monitor on a local zoomed in range.
Is there nothing I can do to improve the resolution?
06-17-16, 08:28 AM
Dan,

The resolution of the data available to all products capable of supporting SiriusXM Marine Weather is identical. Raymarine products are designed to plot this weather to the limits of the resolution of the data supplied. As image begins to pixelize, you are seeing the limit of the received data's resolution. Some third party MFDs have applied smoothing algorithms to this data, giving it the appearance of greater resolution than is actually supplied from the source and may or may not be representative of the actual local weather. While it is possible that software of currently manufactured Raymarine MFDs may be updated in the future to include such smoothing algorithms, the E-Series Classic MFDs been retired for some time now and no future software updates are planned for this generation of MFDs.