Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
i70 transducer calibration through iTC-5
06-20-16, 07:51 PM
i70 transducer calibration through iTC-5
The i70 displays all of my transducer data, but I cannot calibrate any of them. When I get to the iTC-5 menu on the i70, all of the transducer options (Depth, Speed, Wind, etc) are grayed out and can't be selected.

The i70 and iTC-5 were just installed, replacing an i50 tridata. After installation, I ran a software update using my a95 MFD wifi connection. It did not identify any updates for the i70 or iTC-5 (only the p70 and Evolution ACU).

The i70 is daisy-chained to a p70, which is connected to a 5-way SeaTalkng connector. I wouldn't think the order matters, does it?

Any ideas about what might be preventing the transducer calibration?

(Diagnostic data attached)

Attached File(s)
.html  Diagnostic_Data_0002_All_Devices_20-34-16_06-20-2016.html (Size: 20.46 KB / Downloads: 1295)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-21-16, 10:20 AM
RE: i70 transducer calibration through iTC-5
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Dave,

How has the iTC-5 been interfaced to your system's backbone ... as a backbone component or as a spur component?

How is the STng backbone being powered?

How long is the total spur length of the spur that comprises the p70 and i70?
06-21-16, 07:22 PM (This post was last modified: 06-22-16 09:14 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Chuck,
The iTC-5 is connected to one end of the backbone as a backbone component with a terminator in the other backbone socket. I have a blanking plug in the spur socket. Near this end of the backbone is a 5-way connector with short (15") spurs to an AIS650, an ACU-100, and EV-1.

The STng backbone is being powered through a 5-way connector on the opposite end of the backbone from the iTC-5. The 5-way has a terminator plug on one end. The 5-way also has two short spurs (15") to an a95 and p70. The i70 is daisy-chained to the p70 with another short (15") spur and has a blanking plug in the second socket. So, the total spur length to the i70 is around 30 inches.

Total backbone length is about 30 feet. I'm working on drawing up a schematic.

I'm headed to the boat tomorrow and plan on moving power to the middle of the backbone to see if that helps. If I'm reading the SeaTalkng Reference Manual right, it indicates an unbalanced backbone less than 66 ft with a total LEN less than 40 is OK, but it can't hurt to try. My Raymarine components have a total LEN of 13. There's a Garmin GPS near the middle of the backbone on a device net adapter. Since it has its own power I assume the LEN for that would probably be 1.
06-22-16, 10:19 AM (This post was last modified: 06-22-16 10:19 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Dave,

Q1: I'm headed to the boat tomorrow and plan on moving power to the middle of the backbone to see if that helps. If I'm reading the SeaTalkng Reference Manual right, it indicates an unbalanced backbone less than 66 ft with a total LEN less than 40 is OK, but it can't hurt to try. My Raymarine components have a total LEN of 13.
A1: While it's not likely to be the source of the problem, it's best practice to power the backbone in the manner which is being considered. As systems tend to grow over time, doing so may also be beneficial to any future additions to the backbone.

Q2: There's a Garmin GPS near the middle of the backbone on a device net adapter. Since it has its own power I assume the LEN for that would probably be 1.
A2: Correct

Should the problem persist, then it is recommended that the iTC-5's Status LED be monitored and that its operation be compared to the chart below:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=336]

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

06-22-16, 12:31 PM (This post was last modified: 06-22-16 01:05 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Moving power to the middle of the backbone seems to have fixed the problem. It shouldn't have mattered, but it did. I'm not one to argue with success though. I have calibration access to all connected transducers and a steady green LED on the iTC-5.

Thanks for the feedback, Chuck!
06-22-16, 01:17 PM
You're welcome.