Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
displays that work with the wireless Chirp Radar
06-21-16, 04:50 PM
displays that work with the wireless Chirp Radar
I'm interested in the new wireless radar, Quantum Chirp radar, I think they call it. The radar unit is simple enough, but figuring out a display is making my head spin.

I want to use this on a trailer sailboat. The wireless function is ideal, as I can have one simple connector, similar to my mast lights and masthead antenna. I can buy the radar unit for around $1100, but figuring out what display to use is a challenge. One supplier told me that you could use an IPad with an app, but the Raymarine tech says you must first have an MFD.

There is a large selection, and they start at not cheap, and go to real expensive. I gather that any display I would buy will serve as a number of other things, like chart plotter, depth sounder, auto pilot and any other number of functions. All I want is a radar screen. If I have to spend another $700+ just to get a display for the radar it seems to be too expensive. Even if I do buy one, I am overwhelmed with what to get.

I have a Raymarine tiller autopilot - simple, push a button and it holds a course, no interfaces. I have a Raymarine depth sounder - look at it, it tells you how deep it is, no interface. How can I make this radar as simple?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-23-16, 08:48 AM
RE: displays that work with the wireless Chirp Radar
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum austinsailor1,

You were correctly advised that a compatible Wi-Fi equipped a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD (any one of these will do) will need to be installed to support displaying radar imagery on a mobile device (smartphone, tablet). The lowest priced Wi-Fi equipped MFD offered by Raymarine is the E70162-LNC A65 Multifunction Display. It is recommended that the Internet be searched for the lowest price for this product.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply