Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Replacing s2 with ev-200
06-27-16, 09:39 AM
Replacing s2 with ev-200
I have 2 e80 displays, DSM300 and HD Radome (connected to HS switch). I have a Remote, 2 Depth units (40 maybe?) and one ST6000 AP heaad. GPS was replaced by prior owner and I have no idea where it is interfaced (suspect spliced into a ST connection to one of the e80). Would like to reuse the AP head and the Remote - may do w/o Depth as DSM is cranky about displaying the digits for depth (even after returning for "the fix"). My questions:

I have an NMEA 2000 bus that has AIS and depth and would like to incorporate those and disconnect the DSM (has separate transducer connected to it). Is there a way to do this and still utilize some of these older ST devices (I seem to recall that was an issue in the past)?

I have 2000 to my flybridge station, can I connect a small NG backbone to that with the EVO-1, e80 and p70 head - thus using the 2000 to bridge down to the ev-2000 and the second e80 (and possibly the remote and the old AP head)?

Lastly, I ordered the ev-200 "sail" because I prefer the p70 to the p70r. I am connecting to the existing type 1 pump. There isn't any reason not to go this way for my 8 knot trawler is there?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-27-16, 02:33 PM (This post was last modified: 06-27-16 02:37 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: Replacing s2 with ev-200
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Rip,

When installing an Evolution autopilot, the currently installed autopilot control head will need to be replaced with a p70/p70R Autopilot Control Head. These components as well as the Data Master E-Series Classic MFD may be added as spurs to a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 backbone. A SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter(s) (see more information here) may be added as a backbone component to the NMEA 2000 backbone to support support data bridging between the NMEA 2000 backbone and the SeaTalk bus. The Data Master E-Series Classic MFD will be disconnected from the SeaTalk bus, as it will now be communicating with the SeaTalk bus via the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter(s).

Q1: Lastly, I ordered the ev-200 "sail" because I prefer the p70 to the p70r. I am connecting to the existing type 1 pump. There isn't any reason not to go this way for my 8 knot trawler is there?
A1: Not at all. Selection of a p70 vs a p70R is simply a matter of personal preference. I too selected a p70 rather than a p70R for use on my own powerboat.
06-28-16, 09:13 AM
There seemed to be an implication that only one E80 can be connected to the bus "connect the master" - is that the case?

Both are also connected via HS, as is the DSM (which I may deep 6) and HD Radome. I like being able to change masters on the fly so as not to have to go to the flybridge in bad weather to turn on the master.

I had planned to have the ST - STNG kit at the lower station with the ST bus cable (connected terminal strip with all the ST devices that are presently wired to the s2) and the lower E80. Then extend the backbone to the FB and add a 5 way connector there (just for the E80 and the p70).

Thanks,
Rip
06-28-16, 10:18 AM
Rip,

Q1: There seemed to be an implication that only one E80 can be connected to the bus "connect the master" - is that the case?
A2: Only the Data Master need be interfaced to the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. Should any other E-Series Classic MFDs be interfaced to the SeaTalkng backbone, then these MFDs will ignore the SeaTalkng interface until such time as they have been configured as the system's Data Master MFD.

Q2: Both are also connected via HS, as is the DSM (which I may deep 6) and HD Radome. I like being able to change masters on the fly so as not to have to go to the flybridge in bad weather to turn on the master.
A2: This would remain possible if both MFDs were interfaced to the SeaTalkng backbone. See the response to Q1.

Q3: I had planned to have the ST - STNG kit at the lower station with the ST bus cable (connected terminal strip with all the ST devices that are presently wired to the s2) and the lower E80. Then extend the backbone to the FB and add a 5 way connector there (just for the E80 and the p70).
A3: This plan is valid. As indicated previously, the MFD(s) should be disconnected from the SeaTalk bus. Also as indicated within the previously referenced FAQ, the SeaTalk bus will be disconnected from its present source of power.
07-03-16, 05:44 PM (This post was last modified: 07-05-16 09:42 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
So, it almost all went as planned... since my ST bus was part of the original install, it was getting groud via connecting to the E80 on the flybridge (which I disconnect from ST and connected to NG (and HS), so there was no ground since the ST to STNG converter only has power and data wires. Converter instructions need bolded statement to make sure to provide a new ground source (since the converter now supplies the power).

Thanks,
Rip
07-05-16, 09:42 AM
You're welcome.