Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Issues with ST70 AP
06-27-16, 10:26 AM
Issues with ST70 AP
I recently bought a 2010 powerboat with a Raymarine package that in general is very nice. I have noticed two problems however with the AP ever since I took possession.

1. When using the track function, the AP makes very wide excursions before settling down on a heading. Once it does settle down, it performs great. This makes the track function unsafe to initiate if in any type of restricted waterway or near shore. My prior RM AP (ST8001) on my sailboat never had this problem. I have tried adjusting sensitivity which has no effect on this behavior.

2. The ST70 will only display Magnetic heading. I have changed the units to "True" on the ST70 but it still only display magnetic.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-27-16, 02:15 PM (This post was last modified: 06-27-16 02:16 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: Issues with ST70 AP
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum dhays ,

Before getting into the performance issue described, Raymarine does not recommend use of autopilots within areas of restricted maneuverability or close proximity to hazards to navigation.

Q1. When using the track function, the AP makes very wide excursions before settling down on a heading. Once it does settle down, it performs great. This makes the track function unsafe to initiate if in any type of restricted waterway or near shore. My prior RM AP (ST8001) on my sailboat never had this problem. I have tried adjusting sensitivity which has no effect on this behavior.
A1. With respect to the issue of settling onto a course line associated with a track, it is recommended that any SPX autopilot course computers and ST70 autopilot control heads be updated with the latest available Raymarine product software updates, as changes were introduced within the final software release to reduce the symptoms described. It is further recommended that when initially commanding track mode, that the vessel be operated at slow speed until it has joined the course line.

Q2. The ST70 will only display Magnetic heading. I have changed the units to "True" on the ST70 but it still only display magnetic.
A2. Bearing Mode within a Raymarine system is designed to be consistent among the networked products. Should the system feature a Raymarine MFD, then Bearing Mode should be configured via the MFD's user interface.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply