Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Depth Display erratic readings
06-16-16, 08:51 AM
Depth Display erratic readings
Hello,
I have a depth transducer wired to a iTC-5. The i50 display is showing erratic depth readings. When the boat is stationary, the readings are correct. However when moving, the depth display will bounce between 0 depth and the correct depth. The transducer is installed in the same location of a previous transducer that had no problems.
Any ideas?
thanks!
Mike
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-16-16, 10:17 AM (This post was last modified: 06-22-16 09:08 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: Depth Display erratic readings
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Lastmango,

Is the vessel a powerboat or sailboat? What model of depth transducer has been installed? At approximately what speed does the problem occur? Does the problem occur when the vessel is stationary and the engine RPMs are increased? Can you attach photos of the transducer's installed? Have you installed an i70 MFID within the system?
06-21-16, 02:52 PM
Hi Chuck,

The vessel is a sailboat. The transducer model is: P319 Standard plastic low profile thru-hull transducer (M78713-PZ) with 45 ft. cable. I haven't noticed any particular speed where it starts to occur. Max speed is only 6kts, so somewhere between 0 and 6. Problem occurs when engine is off too. I've updated everything to the latest firmware from the website.
Going to try and wire transducer direct to the i50 depth display this weekend.
Mike
06-22-16, 09:06 AM (This post was last modified: 06-22-16 09:08 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Noted. Have you installed an i70 MFID within the system?
06-27-16, 09:09 PM
We have a similar problem with our sailboat depth display.

We have an i70 installed and networked with es98, p70, and iTC-5.
I've shut the depth alarms off because they're constantly sounding when coming into Point Loma and San Diego even though water is 50 feet deep and the alarm was set first for 14 ft, then 7ft, then 5ft. Sorry, don't know which model depth transducer we have. So far this doesn't appear to happen in water over 60 ft. The depth reading issue has begun since installing the new instruments in May.

Will watch thread for information - Thank you!
06-28-16, 09:43 AM
C Sail,

Should the depth values reported by the i70 MFID in error or not present (i.e. dashes), then it would be recommended that the fault be isolated in the manner specified to Mike. Additionally, should the vessel feature an in-hull transducer, then the transducer's reservoir should be inspected to ensure that it is full.