Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GRIB files from phone to es98 MFD
06-27-16, 08:58 PM
GRIB files from phone to es98 MFD
Hi,
Currently subscribed to PocketGrib via android phone. I download the GRIB files with the app to my phone microSD card. Have an es98 MFD with V17.

Questions:
Once the GRIB files are downloaded via phone app to the microSD card, can I then take the card from the phone and place it into the MFD card slot (which one, the chart or data microSD card) and transfer the GRIB files to the MFD?

Seems like it would be best to place it into the chart slot (1 or top slot) and hope it copies to the data card (2 or bottom slot). When I replace the chart sd card into the MFD slot, will all the GRIB data then display?

So, if it is possible to transfer GRIB info from my phone microSD card to the MFD, please describe steps on how it's done without messing up our charts or data.

Thank you,
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-28-16, 01:06 PM
RE: GRIB files from phone to es98 MFD
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum C Sail,

Q1: Once the GRIB files are downloaded via phone app to the microSD card, can I then take the card from the phone and place it into the MFD card slot (which one, the chart or data microSD card) and transfer the GRIB files to the MFD?
A1: GRIB files are not copied by the MFD into the MFD's internal memory or to another memory card within the MFD's reader. It is recommended that a dedicated microSD memory card be used for this purpose as the card containing the GRIB files must remain within the MFD's memory card reader while viewing the associated weather data.

Q2: Seems like it would be best to place it into the chart slot (1 or top slot) and hope it copies to the data card (2 or bottom slot). When I replace the chart sd card into the MFD slot, will all the GRIB data then display?
A2: Either memory card reader slot may be used for this feature. There is no advantage to using one slot over the other.

Q3: So, if it is possible to transfer GRIB info from my phone microSD card to the MFD, please describe steps on how it's done without messing up our charts or data.
A3: As indicated within the responses above it is not possible to do as you have suggested. The microSD containing the GRIB files must be present within the MFD's memory card reader when viewing GRIB files. Those seeking to move weather data via Wi-Fi to their MFD's should consider using the Theyr weather service.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply