Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time/Date jumping around
06-29-16, 09:41 AM
Time/Date jumping around
I just updated my Data Master e7 from 9.4 to the current Lighthouse.

Had problems getting the SeaTalk NG to Seatalk converters to update, but finally got all the system updated, including the AIS 650 and the RS130 GPS. I am attaching screenshots and data files for some of the error messages that I see now. (apparently the forum caps the number of attachments, let me know if you need anything else)

The Time/Date does not hold - I try to set it to 12 hour UTC-4, and then it jumps around to various different settings., including 0.3 and 0.8 offsets (??).

I also tried a power on reset, and then tried selecting the Data Source with the AIS650 unplugged from the converter, all to no avail.

What do I need to do to get this to work? It was all fine and OK with the 9.4 software.

John K
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-29-16, 03:27 PM
RE: Time/Date jumping around
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum John,

The fault may to be rooted in the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converters being listed among the GPS sources. What devices have been interfaced to the SeaTalk (not to be confused with SeaTalkng) busses within this system?
06-29-16, 04:14 PM (This post was last modified: 06-30-16 07:42 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I've been having the same issue with my set up.

I have the following

on STNG

E95, E125, (2) STNG Converters, P70 control head

on ST1

ST60 Wind repeater, ST60 speed repeater, ST 60 depth repeater, ST 60 tridata with transducer conn, ST60 wind with transducer, 400 Course computer

I keep setting the correct time then it holds then changes after a bit
06-30-16, 07:41 AM (This post was last modified: 06-30-16 07:42 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
All,

Unfortunately, we have been unable to duplicate the reported issue within our facility using a large system featuring two SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converters (v2.01). It is possible that the reported issue may be the result of an incorrect installation. Attaching a system diagram to this thread may permit us to identify the source of the problem.

If any device which is capable of producing a GPS position FIX has been interfaced to the SeaTalk bus (not to be confused with the SeaTalk backbone), then it is recommended that it be disconnected from the SeaTalk bus or that it ability to function as a GPS sensor be switched OFF. Should the problem persist, then it is recommended that the internal GPS sensors of all devices except for the systems primary GPS sensor (ex. Raystar 130 GPS Sensor, a/c/e/eS-Series MFD installed in a location affording it an an unobstructed view of the skies overhead, etc.) be configured to OFF. Should the problem persist thereafter, then the problem may be worked around by temporarily disconnecting the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converters from the backbone, using the Data Sources feature to manually designate the GPS source for the system, and then reconnecting the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converts to the backbone.

Again, users cannot specify the current date and time. They can only configure the system's local time offset.
06-30-16, 08:50 AM
Connected to ST1 - ST5000+ Autopilot (powered off, never used); Old Autohelm compass indicator (buried in a cabinet, used only to interface WH Autopilot FG-100 Flux Gate Compass), six ST-60+ Graphic Displays, ST60+ Tridata, ST60+ Wind, and an ST60 Multi. My computer (no internal GPS) is also interfaced, connecting a Icom M710 and Pactor II modem, but they are all also normally powered off.

There are five GPS sensors - the e7 Data Master and e95 in the pilot house, an e7 in the cockpit at the base of the mast, the RS130 GPS sensor, and the AIS 650.

After reading your response, I disconnected the RS130 GPS and the ASI 650 from the converters, and set the cockpit e7 as primary GPS with the other two displays turned off (both autopilots are off as well, just one of the two fluxgate compasses is turned on for the ST1, the second compass is powered on with the WH pilot and connected to it only). Set the data source for GPS and Time to the cockpit e7.

The time is still jumping around, and the set time/date control was erratic when I initially set it to 12 HR -4UTC took several tries to get it to take.

Any other suggestions?
06-30-16, 09:09 AM
I suspect that the system is receiving GPS data from a NMEA 0183 source or possibly one of the devices using NMEA 0183 communications is looping received data back into the system. With respect to the AIS650, it should only be interfaced to the system via its SeaTalkng communications interface. A common mistake made by AIS650/500 owners is that they enable the output of GNSS sentences via the ProAIS2/ProAIS software. Again, attaching a system diagram to this thread may permit us to identify the source of the problem.
07-02-16, 11:34 AM
OK, that makes sense. I tried the e7 plus the RS130 GPS by itself, everything else disconnected, all works fine. I then switched on the repeaters only, but not the other MGDs and the AIS disconnected, and had an issue.

I will try disconnecting the WH Pilot and my computer and see if that works (we are underway now so will have to wait a bit).

I don't have a wiring diagram, but if this does not work I will try to produce one for you - will take hours but was on the "to-do" list anyway.
07-04-16, 07:43 AM
I am working an the system wiring diagram, but it will take me a few days (we are moving the boat north to meet a scheduled family obligation, and are underway every day) and will send it as soon as it is done.

In the course of doing the wiring diagram, I found a data loop in the ST60+ instrument circuit, and removed it (which was feeding from a third ST-STNG converter)

Everything seems to be working OK now. All devices are showing on the Diagnostics/Select Device (same as I sent you before), and the time is not jumping around anymore. Apparently 9.40 was tolerant of this data loop and the new Lighthouse is not.

I am still getting an error message when I try to select GPS Data Source with the AIS plugged in - says ISO (60 216e e7 00 8c 8c c0) CAN(43) preventing device selection.

The time/date data source shows RS130 GPS selected and also available (unselected) is the ST-STNG Converter 0610276.

How do I fix the GPS data selection error?
07-05-16, 08:17 AM
Sunbow,

The blocking device may be temporarily disconnected from the backbone to then permit data source selection to be performed ... sometimes an AIS receiver/transceiver has been known to cause blocking. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.
07-05-16, 11:39 AM (This post was last modified: 07-05-16 01:15 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
OK, got it.