Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ST6002 Autopilot failure "no pilot seatalk failure" alarm
06-30-16, 01:15 PM
ST6002 Autopilot failure "no pilot seatalk failure" alarm
My RS130 GPS failed this week and an alarm on my ST6002 autopilot screen showed "No Pilot Seatalk Failure". The LED on the GPS antenna showed a red and orange alternating blinking LED, not the normal green blinking LED. Upon further investigation I found the S1G course computer, which is mounted under the helm, had broken loose and the S1G PCB was dangling by it's connection wires. I checked all of the connections and none were compromised so I remounted the S1G and turned the system on again only to find the same "seatalk failure" alarm. I then disconnected the auto pilot from the seatalk circuit by disconnecting the seatalk connecting wires off the S1G and unplugging the seatalk connector from the ST6002 control head and booted the system up again to find the GPS and everything else working fine but with no autopilot. I assume the S1G on course computer is the problem but am unsure on how to confirm this. Does anyone know of any tests that could be performed on the S1G computer to confirm it's operation? Are there any voltage, resistance, etc. tests that could be performed on the S1G to prove it has failed? Any input would be appreciated.

the future's so bright, i gotta wear shades
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-30-16, 01:49 PM
RE: ST6002 Autopilot failure "no pilot seatalk failure" alarm
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum naz14,

You can determine whether the ST6002 has suffered a failure of its SeaTalk communications circuitry be connecting a SeaTalk Cable alone to one of the ST6002's SeaTalk ports. The red lead of this SeaTalk Cable will be connected to +12VDC, its shield lead will be connected to -12VDC, and its yellow lead will not be connected to anything. Upon application of power to the ST6002, should it report SeaTalk failure, then the ST6002 would be deemed to have suffered a failure an would need to be replaced. Should connecting the yellow and shield leads of a SeaTalk cable which is in turn connected to the powered SeaTalk bus containing your other SeaTalk devices result in the Raystar 130's LED to blink orange then red, then the S1G would be determined to have suffered a failure of its SeaTalk communications circuitry.

Should the ST6002 have suffered a failure of its SeaTalk communications circuitry, then it will need to be replaced with a p70 or p70R Autopilot Control Head, as Raymarine can no longer service ST600x Autopilot Control Heads. Should the S1G have suffered a failure of its SeaTalk communications circuitry, then it would need to be replaced with an Evolution EV-1 Sensor Core, p70/p70R Autopilot Control Head, and ACU of specifications matching the needs of the currently installed drive unit.
07-06-16, 12:35 PM (This post was last modified: 07-06-16 03:21 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks for the info Chuck and I was able to find a damp "on course" computer PCB which I cleaned and dried and the "Seatalk Failure" warning disappeared and the GPS for a fix and began working fine. Now I have a "No Pilot" warning on my ST6002 control head. I am fairly certain that the issue with the autopilot is in the installation wiring or modifications performed by (2) authorized Raymarine Techs in different regions of the country. I have drawn, to the best of my ability, a sketch of the wiring of my auto pilot and Seatalk connections which is attached to this reply. If you or anyone could review this "stickman" sketch it would be appreciated. I truly believe that there is a simple issue in the current wiring of this system and it has knocked out the autopilot while leaving all of the other instruments intact and operating without issue. Please let me know if anything seems suspicious and excuse my horrible art work. Tight Lines

07-06-16, 03:34 PM
naz14,

Regarding your system diagram, when a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter (powered via one of its spur sockets or a SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 backbone) is installed within a system featuring a first generation SeaTalk bus, then the first generation SeaTalk bus must be disconnected from any sources of power. When install as our diagram has shown, a ground loop could exist. In this case, both
- the +12VDC and -12VDC leads from the battery to the "SeaTalk Splice Box" should be removed, and
- the red lead of the SeaTalk cable connecting the D244 SeaTalk Junction Block to the S1G's SeaTalk port should be disconnected from the red terminal of the S1G's SeaTalk port. This red lead should be insulated to prevent shorting.

Also, what model of GPS Sensor has been interfaced to the white spur socket of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter?
07-08-16, 09:45 AM
Thanks a bunch Chuck. I suspected that there were too many 12 volt power connections to the system. The GPS sensor is a RS 130 which requires Seatalk ng communication and that is why there is the Seatalk 1 to Seatalk ng converter in the system. I will disconnect the extra power supply connection as recommended and see what happens. To be continued....

07-08-16, 10:10 AM
You're welcome.