Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GPS not Working on eS127 and eS128 today
08-10-16, 07:27 PM (This post was last modified: 08-11-16 07:47 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: GPS not Working on eS127 and eS128 today
Chuck, I turned off both internal GPS's and system is using Raystar 130. Installer will change the 130 to be on the network vs tied to the 128 and networked to the 127. I continue to have reboot issues only with the 128 for the Navionics chart software but no issue with the 127 when I move the card to that unit. Bill J. is sending a replacement 128 and installer will change out as soon as I get back from a trip. I think you were right in your earlier assessment that the card reader might have an issue. Hoping the Raystar along with new 128 will finally solve the issues I have been having. I could almost qualify for a job at Raymarine as I have learned so much about this system during the troubleshooting exercises.

Please let me know if you get any updates. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-11-16, 07:46 AM (This post was last modified: 08-11-16 07:47 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
John,

You're welcome.

Q: I continue to have reboot issues only with the 128 for the Navionics chart software but no issue with the 127 when I move the card to that unit.
A: Should the MFD that you are referring to within the phrase "when I move the card to that unit" be the eS128, then I would concur that there would appear to be a problem with the eS128 MFD's memory card reader.
11-07-16, 09:04 PM
Chuck, I left you a PM explaining that I have had major problems with GPS again. Even the RA130 can't get a fix at times. I can't even manual select and change from RA130 to Internal or back with repeated success. If unit powers on with Fix then most of the time it keeps the fix but not 100%. If it powers up with no Fix it is impossible to get a fix no matter what I do. I have attached an error message that comes up 95% of the time when I try a data source command. The 3 pictures were taken in sequence after each try yet I get different results. Internal not there then there. Also took picture in diagnostic mode. Not showing my AIS650 or my 260 VHF which was not powered up but the AIS was. I saw another answer to a question you responded to regarding this error message and got me thinking that I am right. There might be a firmware issue. Please help!
11-09-16, 03:54 PM
We have absolutely no reason to believe that the problem is resulting from an incompatibility between eS127 and eS128 MFDs, as we have tested an eS127 with an eS128 MFD here in our support offices. I have observed/reported source selection being blocked in some systems featuring and AIS650 receiver/transceiver, however this issue is not widespread. Such blocking would not be responsible for the NO FIX problem but would prohibit use of the source selection feature. Should your AIS650 be determined to be blocking source selection, then it is recommended that it be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced. The most common reasons for source selection being blocked are:
• Old software within a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter
• A legacy SeaTalkng device within the system (ex. ST70, SPX, AIS500, etc.)
• An AIS650 installed within the system
• A incompatible third party NMEA 2000 device within the system

While a software update to the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter will address this issue where applicable, the only way to work around the latter three caused would be to temporarily remove the incompatible device(s) from the backbone, perform source selection, and then plug the blocking device(s) back into the system.

A “CAN error” on the other hand may indicate any of the following
• a problem with the materials constructing the SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 backbone … inspect the backbone for proper termination, maximum spur length, splices, cable damage, etc.
• an under-powered SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 backbone … verify that the backbone’s power/insertion point has been located at the approximate mid-point of the backbone’s LEN load
• a failure of SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 communications circuitry within one of the system’s devices … see below

CAN bus problems can be the cause of intermittent or complete communications failures between products which have been interfaced to the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. To check for a product with faulty SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications circuitry, it is recommended that the resistance across CAN-H and CAN-L leads of an unpowered SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 backbone be measured to verify 60 Ohms resistance. Should the resistance be found to differ, then it would be recommended that the devices within the bus be disconnected one by one to determine the effect on this measured resistance. Should disconnecting a device from the SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 backbone, then that device should be bench checked/serviced by its manufacturer. It is recommended that your installing dealer be contacted to assist with this.

In a system featuring a Raystar 130 GPS Sensor, the Data Master MFD should be used to select the Raystar 130 GPS Sensor as the system's GPS source of GPS data via Manual source selection. Once configured, there should be no reason to ever change this setting ... unless a failure of the Raystar 130 GPS Sensor or backbone occurs. In the case of the latter, the internal GPS sensor of one of the MFDs either having a GA150 GPS antenna interfaced to it or the MFD itself (the MFD must be installed in a location affording it an unobstructed view of the skies overhead) may be selected as the system's source of GPS data (NOTE: the internal GPS of the MFD must first be configured to ON). Should a NO FIX condition occur after the Raystar 130 GPS has been designated the system's GPS data source, then it would be necessary to determine whether the NO FIX condition had resulted from a failure of the Raystar 130 GPS Sensor (check its Status LED ... it should be green when it has acquired a FIX) or a SeaTalkng communications failure. Should the Raystar 130 GPS Sensor have been properly installed, have been ON for at least three minutes and it's Status LED be colored amber or red, then it would indicative of a failure of the GPS sensor. In the case of the latter, it would likewise be recommended that the Raystar 130 GPS Sensor be sent to Raymarine's Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.