Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ST6001+ NMEA and HSB2 SeaTalk interface
07-25-16, 09:05 AM
RE: ST6001+ NMEA and HSB2 SeaTalk interface
Greg,

Q1: I've not found the answer to having the AP connected to both the Raymarine Pathfinder radar and the new PC nav computer so for now the PC is driving the AP. I'll continue to pursue that but otherwise everything else is working as expected but for one objective.
A1: This is a fairly straight forward issue. Simply connect the Pathfinder Series Displays and autopilot components to one another via a SeaTalk bus. SeaTalk instruments, autopilot components, GPS sensors, and chartplotters featuring a 1st generation SeaTalk interface which do not additionally feature a SeaTalkng interface (ex. ST40/60 Instrument Displays, ST6001, S2G, Wireless AP Controller, Raystar 125 GPS Sensor, etc.) should be interfaced to one another, in any order, using standard SeaTalk Cables. SeaTalk Cables can be joined using D244 SeaTalk Junction Blocks, splices, marine grade terminal strips, or R55006 SeaTalk Auxiliary Junction Boxes. SeaTalk Cable is available in 15", 1m, 3m, 5m, and 9m lengths. This method of interfacing is referred to as a SeaTalk bus.

Install a serial to USB adapter having more than one serial port between the between the autopilot course computer, radar display, and AIS. Raymarine strongly recommends use of serial to USB adapters from SeaLevel Systems. The radar display's NMEA 0183 output should be reduce to TTM messages only. To avoid data loops, only the NMEA 0183 output (not the input) of the radar display should be interfaced to the serial to USB adapter.

Q3. I'd like to display the ARPA targets on the PC. Do I need to export from the Pathfinder anything other than the TTM sentence?
A3: See the response to Q2. Please additionally note that it is not possible for third party applications to display radar imagery from hsb/hsb2/SL Pathfinder Series Radar Displays.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-25-16, 11:56 AM
Hi Chuck,
Again, thank you for the timely and complete reply. Might I confirm/clarify one point? It is not my intention to overlay the radar screen image on the PC chart. However, I would like the PC to display icons for ARP targets being tracked by the radar. I have confirmed Rose Point Coastal Explorer will accept NMEA TTM data. If I limit the NMEA output from the radar to only TTM data, that should be sufficient to display icons for ARP targets on the PC (not the radar screen image)? Do I have that correct?
Thanks,
Greg Lee
Huntington Beach, CA
07-25-16, 12:56 PM
Greg,

I would seek verification of the requirements for plotting MARPA targets (Raymarine radar products do not support ARPA) from Rosepoint's support team. As TTM sentences contain range and bearing data relative to the vessel's position, I suspect that the support team will specify that GPS lat, lon, COG, and SOG data as well as heading data may additionally be required from the system.
07-25-16, 03:01 PM (This post was last modified: 07-25-16 03:34 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Chuck,
Thanks. I'll check with Rose Point and share their response.
Greg Lee
Huntington Beach, CA
07-25-16, 03:34 PM
You're welcome.