Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spontaneous Reboot es78/Quantum
07-07-16, 07:03 AM
Spontaneous Reboot es78/Quantum
I recently purchased as es78 MFD and Quantum WiFi radar. I operated the MFD without the radar for a couple of weeks with no incident. Since installing the radar I am observing spontaneous rebooting of the MFD - sometimes with no user input whatsoever, but also can be aggravated by rapidly changing range scale on the radar. I am running lighthouse v17 (latest download). Note that this did not occur prior to integrating with the WiFi radar.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-08-16, 01:54 PM (This post was last modified: 07-08-16 02:05 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: Spontaneous Reboot es78/Quantum
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum SilverHammer,

Unfortunately, we have been unable to duplicate the reported problem. It is correspondingly recommended that the easier to remove of the MFD (preferable) or radome be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked/serviced.
07-12-16, 08:05 AM
Here's an update - during our recent voyage from Charleston SC to Savannah GA the MFD reset 10 times. One of those times the MFD produced a long crash-dump which ended with KERNEL PANIC message, and then a reboot. At first I thought the rebooting problem was caused by the integration with the Quantum radar, but this was just coincidental. I observed the majority of the reboots during this last trip running in just Chart or Dual Chart modes. Curiously, nearly all of the reboots occurred during the first 1/2 of the voyage - only once or twice after that.
07-13-16, 01:40 PM
Have you really not had any similar reports of random reboots? I am beginning to suspect it may be a power issue induced by the additional load of the radar - they are on the same circuit.
07-14-16, 07:07 AM
Perhaps a master reset would be a good place to start.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-14-16, 03:14 PM
Hello SilverHammer,
As Chuck indicated we have not had any reports of spontaneous reboots due to the quantum radar and bench testing the MFD and Radar as a system would be recommended as the issue itself could be caused by several factors.
To narrow things down, you could check both the eS78 MFD and Quantum Radar power connections and the grounding thereof.
You could also try separating the power connections to their own fuse / breaker.
You could try totally disconnecting the radar from the eS78 and see if the MFD continues to reboot.
You could try an MFD reset as suggested by Oregoncme.
I have also seen corrupted charts that cause the MFD to reset.