Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raymarine SeaTalk1 to SeaTalkng Converter Kit (E22158)
07-19-16, 11:09 AM
Raymarine SeaTalk1 to SeaTalkng Converter Kit (E22158)
Hi,

I have installed a Raymarine es78 MDF. I also have the following instruments connected via STng:

EV100 autopilot
AIS 350
i70
p70
ITC5 (for wind vane and depth sensors)
Lowrance HDS7 MDF (which is NMEA 2000) and a Lowrance HD Radar connected to the HDS7.

I also have an old Raymarine's bidata (speed and depth) which is ST1 with its speed sensor, so I have it connected to the network via a Raymarine SeaTalk1 to SeaTalkng Converter Kit (E22158), to imput the boat's speed to the system.

Finally, I also have an old X5 drive unit connected to the network.

When I try to "see" the connected devices in the es78, I recieve an error message that sais that it cannot be seen because there is a ST1-STng converter plugged to the network, and that I have to check the manual to solve that problem. But there is no help in the es78 manual to help me with this issue. If I disconnect the converter, then I have no speed info imput.
Something similar happens with the ITC5, when I try to configure the wind and depth sensors.

I have these questions:

Q1) is there any way to connect or bypass the converter in order to "see" all the instruments in the network on the es78, specially the ones which are ST1?

Q2) is there any way to configure the wind and depth sensors, bypassing the ITC5?

Q3) I cannot "see" the Lowrance HDS7 MDF as an alternative MDF. Is it incompatible with the es78?

Q4) Is there any way to "see" the Lowrance Radar on the es78?

Many thanks in advance for your help
Best regards,
Fernando
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-19-16, 01:56 PM
RE: Raymarine SeaTalk1 to SeaTalkng Converter Kit (E22158)
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum ferssini,

General comment: Please click here to view a FAQ addressing why the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter may be blocking access to the device list ... in a nutshell, it likely has old software installed within its memory. The SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter's software maybe updated via the eS78 per the information found here.

Q1) is there any way to connect or bypass the converter in order to "see" all the instruments in the network on the es78, specially the ones which are ST1?
A1) Yes. Disconnect the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Cable from the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter's yellow SeaTalk socket and then replace the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter with a SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector.

Q2) is there any way to configure the wind and depth sensors, bypassing the ITC5?
A2) No.

Q3) I cannot "see" the Lowrance HDS7 MDF as an alternative MDF. Is it incompatible with the es78?
A3) It is unclear what is being asked by your question. Should the HDS7 be a NMEA 2000 Certified product and should all equipment (including any third party equipment) be updated with the latest software updates, then it should be possible to use the Data Source Selection feature to indicate which GPS, wind, depth, etc. data source will be used should more than one source be any type of data be interfaced to the SeaTalkng backbone.

Q4) Is there any way to "see" the Lowrance Radar on the es78?
A4) No. Only alphanumeric data items may be shared between a Raymarine MFD and a third party product. Correspondingly, it is not possible share graphical data (ex. cartography, radar imagery, fishfinder imagery, SiriusXM Satellite Weather) between Raymarine MFDs and third party products.
07-19-16, 03:01 PM
Hi, Chuck!

Thank you for your kind help.

Best Regards
Fernando
07-19-16, 03:10 PM
You're welcome.
07-24-16, 04:47 PM (This post was last modified: 07-25-16 09:55 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi, Chuck.

Here I am again on this subject.

I have updated all my Raymarine's instruments on board. I succesfully did it except with the ST-STng converter.

The software actual version of the converter is the 1.21.

I have downloaded the specific update file (update 2.01) from the Support page but when I place the memory card including only the update file (ray_Instruments20160523_.upgrade.iso) in the es78, it is not showed as an available update.

I have succesfully updated the es78 MDF, with the latest version (R17-v17.45a_v17.06p_v1.20G_v1.20n_v1.20r_v1.20j_v17.03m-ISO), which supposedly includes an update for the ST-STng converter, but the MDF list is still showing the 1.21 version for the converter.

As I have read in the Forum and in your answer below, this update should solve the problem with the converter blocking the access to the device list.

What else can I do to update the St-STng converter to the 2.01 version and thus be able to avoid the converter's blocking?

Regarding my 3rd question (see below), I have updated all the instruments and the es78 to the latest software versions. The HDS7 Lowrance MDF is fully NMEA2000 certified, and it is connected to my STng network. I can read the network info on the HDS7 (wind, depth, heading, COG, SOG, etc) so I understand that the integration of the HDS7 with the STng network is correct and functioning well. When I check the device list on the es78, I can see the HDS7 listed. But I still cannot select it as an alternative MDF. Any suggestion on how to solve this problem?

Many thanks!
Fernando
07-25-16, 10:33 AM
Fernando,

Q1: What else can I do to update the St-STng converter to the 2.01 version and thus be able to avoid the converter's blocking?

A1: When updating the software of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter,
1) the MFD should be switched ON, permitted to complete initialization, the Limitations of Use acknowledged, and any alert dialogs acknowledged
2) the microSD memory card containing the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter's .iso file (downloaded from the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter software update web page) should be inserted into the MFD's memory card reader.
3) the MFD should be commanded to Check the MicroSD memory card for updates (HOME->SET-UP->MAINTENANCE->CHECK CARD FOR UPDATES)
4) verify that the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter(s) have been checked
5) select the INSTALL NOW button

Should this fail to permit the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter to be updated, then the SeaTalkng backbone should be reduced to the Data Master MFD and one device to be updated. This may be accomplished by either disconnecting spur cables from other devices from the backbone or by disconnecting all spur cable(s) from each device's spur socket. Should the you still be unable to update the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter's software, then it should be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be updated.

Q2: Regarding my 3rd question (see below), I have updated all the instruments and the es78 to the latest software versions. The HDS7 Lowrance MDF is fully NMEA2000 certified, and it is connected to my STng network. I can read the network info on the HDS7 (wind, depth, heading, COG, SOG, etc) so I understand that the integration of the HDS7 with the STng network is correct and functioning well. When I check the device list on the es78, I can see the HDS7 listed. But I still cannot select it as an alternative MDF. Any suggestion on how to solve this problem?
A2: The Data Master feature of Raymarine MFD's is intended to identify the MFD within an Ethernet network of compatible MFD's. It is generally possible to have an older generation Raymarine MFD interfaced to the backbone as well. While it is not possible to identify one of these retired MFDs as a data source for GPS, wind, depth, etc. it is possible for such MFDs to access data within the system and to command navigation within the system. Raymarine has identified a problem with mixing a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs with some third party MFDs and then being able have Evolution autopilots respond to navigation data transmitted by third party MFDs. Raymarine's engineering team is presently investigating this issue.
07-25-16, 12:22 PM (This post was last modified: 07-25-16 01:22 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi, Chuck. Thank you very much for your answers.

As I have done the update process as you suggest twice (but unsuccessfully), I will now try to do the same but previously disconnecting all spur cables except the es78's one (my Data Master MDF) from the converter and see what happens.

As you mention, I am able to (partially) command navigation from the third party MDF which is connected to the STng system. Therefore, I will wait until the RM engineering team to find a solution. Please be so kind to keep me informed about any suggestions they come out with the problem of third parties MDF to act as data source for the system.

Best Regards,
Fernando
07-25-16, 01:22 PM
You're welcome.