Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
lowrance elite 9 chirp will not send navigation data to autopilot
07-22-16, 10:29 AM
lowrance elite 9 chirp will not send navigation data to autopilot
Installed a new EVO-200 autopilot on boat and connected Lowrance Elite 9 chirp combo GPS/sonar unit via NMEA 2000 to seatalk ng using cable A06045. The autopilot communicates with the Lowrance unit and vice versa. The pilot gets GPS data and Lowrance unit gets heading data. All devices can be seen on pilot diagnostics and Lowrance nmea 2000 network. The pilot will also do fishing patterns with no issue. The problem is when you put in a go-to on the Lowrance unit and hit track on the pilot, the pilot says "no navigation data" and will not track. This is the third or fourth Lowrance unit this has happened with. Lowrance says it's a Raymarine Problem (go figure, right). Any suggestions? I was a certified raymarine installer that is now retired, so I have a good grip on the systems.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-22-16, 01:03 PM
RE: lowrance elite 9 chirp will not send navigation data to autopilot
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Snakedriver,

Raymarine is currently investigating a similar report within a system featuring Garmin MFDs. Should you have
a) updated the Lowrance Elite 9 CHIRP with the latest software, and
b) updated the Evolution autopilot components with the latest available software posted on Raymarine's website, and
c) verified communications between these products as stated, and
d) commanded navigation via a Go To cursor / waypoint command on the Lowrance Elite 9 CHIRP, and
e) the Evolution autopilot reported No Navigation Data,

then, it would be recommended that a NMEA 2000 CAN BUS analyzer (ex. Actisense NGT-1 w/NMEA Reader software be interfaced to the system and that the bus be inspected for the presence of Navigational Data PGNs (129284, 129285) on the SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 backbone. If so, then it would be recommended that five to ten seconds of NMEA 2000 data be logged and attached to this thread to support investigation of the problem. The Diagnostic features of the autopilot should also be used to determine the versions of software installed within EV-1 Sensor Core, ACU-200 and p70/p70R and these should also be included to support the investigation.
07-25-16, 08:21 PM (This post was last modified: 07-26-16 08:13 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I still need to update software in everything, but knowing lowrance units with this history I don't hold out much hope with a software update. I will try to update all software this next week and let you know if there is any change. As far as the actisense NGT-1 to read PGN's, I don't have one of those.
07-26-16, 08:21 AM
Snakedriver,

The recommendation to ensure that all products, including third party products have received the latest software updates is to increase the possibility that any related problems identified by the manufacturer or customers have been addressed. This action is strongly recommended as first step in resolving many reported problems.

Regarding the recommendation to use a NMEA 2000 CAN bus analyzer, it is a must have for fault isolation of NMEA 2000 issues. Should you not have one, be unwilling to obtain/use one, or be unfamiliar with the operation of one, then it would be recommended that a Certified Raymarine Dealer having one be contacted to visit the vessel to monitor/log traffic on the NMEA 2000 backbone.