Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New systems integration
07-25-16, 05:53 PM
New systems integration
I'm currently running an e120 classic, DSM300, R199 transducer, RD424 radar.
I also have a furuno NAVpilot 5011,
I have been having fish finder issues for some time, frozen screens, system resets etcetera, and recently I discovered a yellow line that runs top to bottom of the far left side of the screen and remains no matter what mode or page is selected. In addition the mfd is displaying no data source message for the radar. My DSM300 is currently somewhere between NH and CA. On a fed ex plane headed in for service.
I'm thinking its time for a system upgrade.
I have a raymarine certified tech working with me but I do my own research. I am happy with traditional sonar and don't really want to get into Chirp technology. I thought the e125 would be a good start to upgrade from the classic e120.
My fear is this.
I have an expensive system that was installed new in 2007 making it 9 yrs old and outdated and no longer supported. If I buy a new e125 what kind of life expectancy
Can I anticipate with this? Might I be better off looking at the newer es models?
I don't see an es125 anywhere? Does that mean I'm stuck with integrated sonar?
I am not keen on electronics that feature hardware that I would not be using.
Your thoughts are appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-26-16, 12:14 PM
RE: New systems integration
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Long,

Q1: I have an expensive system that was installed new in 2007 making it 9 yrs old and outdated and no longer supported. If I buy a new e125 what kind of life expectancy
Can I anticipate with this? Might I be better off looking at the newer es models?
A1: Please click here to view a FAQ addressing the duration that one may expect support for a product. As the eS-Series MFDs have been introduced as a replacement for the e-Series MFDs, one may assume that the support, parts, and service for the eS-Series MFDs will extend further into the future than these items will be for the e-Series MFDs.

Q2: I don't see an es125 anywhere? Does that mean I'm stuck with integrated sonar?
I am not keen on electronics that feature hardware that I would not be using.
A2: Due to customer demand and the decreasing cost of embedded sonar technology, Raymarine has not introduced eS-Series MFDs lacking internal fishfinder sounder circuitry. While fishfinding may not be within the requirements of many boaters, the depth trending information, bottom hardness, bottom structure, and other bottom features have been found to be of value within a significantly large subset of these boaters, leading to Raymarine's decision. As your system will include a 1kW sounder module, the internal fishfinder circuitry of an eS-Series MFD would not be used unless another compatible transducer was installed onboard the vessel.
07-26-16, 09:35 PM
Thank you Chuck, if I may ask you?
Due to existing peripherals considerations I am leaning towards an es127 mfd, and quantum radar.
I would continue using my existing R199 transducer connected through CP370.
Now my question is since the es127 has built in 600w fish finder I assume I would only need an compatible transducer to utilize side scan through this feature?
Thereby using both applications? Is this possible and are there any known comparability issues?
Thank you
07-27-16, 09:24 AM (This post was last modified: 07-27-16 09:25 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Long,

Q1. Now my question is since the es127 has built in 600w fish finder I assume I would only need an compatible transducer to utilize side scan through this feature?
A1. Raymarine does not produce any MFDs having internal side scan sonar circuitry. The ax7, cx7, e7D, ex7, and eSx7 MFDs feature internal 600W 50/200 kHz sounder circuitry, providing similar imaging to that produced by the DSM300 and CP370. The ax8 and eSx8 MFDs feature internal 600' CHIRP/DownVision sounder circuitry, providing imaging such as that found here when interfaced to a compatible transducer. In order to support SideVision, the MFD would need to be interfaced to a CP200 SideVision Sonar Module which in turn will be interfaced to a CPT-200 Transom Mounted SideVision Transducer ... this transducer should not be installed on vessels with inboard propulsion systems.

Q2. Thereby using both applications? Is this possible and are there any known comparability issues?
A2. Should the vessel be able to accommodate the transducers required, then it would be possible to simultaneously support all presently support fishfinder sounder technologies simultaneously as demonstrated within the screen snapshot below taken from my own boat.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=440]

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

07-27-16, 04:38 PM
Thank you again and that is an example of exactly what I would like to accomplish.
Please tell me which mfd are you running there?
Im am also looking at upgrading my radar to the quantum unit. Does the es series mfd have the capability to utilize split screen radar imagery using different ranges and settings so I can have one set at 1/3 mile and the other at 3 miles?
Thank you again.
07-28-16, 08:48 AM
Long,

The screen snapshot which I had provided within my last response was taken from my e95 MFD.

Regarding your radar question, Quantum radomes do not support dual range. If seeking this feature, then it is recommended that a HD Digital Radome be installed.
07-28-16, 08:04 PM
Thanks chuck you are an incredible resource for this project.
I'll reconsider the radar options.
Then I'm going to need some wiring diagrams for connecting three transducers, AIS, FLIR, and radar.
07-28-16, 10:32 PM
Chuck I think I have decided what features and hardware i want to install.
I am talented enough to do a professional job of installing the components. I was a cabinet maker and a shipwright for many years so I can mount everything and make it all look really nice.
I fall apart at the wiring though. If I have a diagram I can follow that. What I want to do is order all the components and get to installing them and wire them up without having to find out I'm missing a cable here and there and then wait for more deliveries. I realize sometimes this cannot be avoided, but failure to plan is really planning to fail and I'd just as soon avoid as much of that as possible.
Can you or someone else through Raymarine tell me what cables, splitters, etcetera I will need to pull this all together if you know exactly what component parts numbers I need to connect?
Thanks again
Dave
07-29-16, 09:39 AM
Long,

Unfortunately, we don't have the bandwidth to create custom installation diagrams. Sample diagrams may be found with the product installation manuals found withing the Raymarine Product Manuals section of Raymarine's web site. Should you supply a complete list of the products which will be purchased, then a written description regarding how to interfaced the equipment will be provided.
07-29-16, 01:57 PM
Excellent thank you chuck that is exactly what I am looking for.
I will post the list as soon as I decide exactly which component models I will be using.