Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ST1000+/ST600R troubleshooting
07-25-16, 06:55 PM
ST1000+/ST600R troubleshooting
My ST600R has an error that states "no line". The unit is probably 6-7 years old. The remote powers up fine. I assume the data feed from the tiller is the problem. The St1000 tiller unit is working fine. It is a simple system (tiller unit and remote directly connected with the "three pin" socket).

I checked all mechanical connections and cleaned up a few - still no luck. How do I troubleshoot this? Is there a way for me to check if the tiller unit is putting out the proper signal (from the #4 pin position)? I assume it's an analog signal, is it just a voltage measurement?

If I determine the remote is dead, can I upgrade to the S100 for this simple system or do I need to go through my instruments (new i70, i60)/seatalk network with the S100?

Thanks in advance,
Wes J.
Maine
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-26-16, 12:25 PM
RE: ST1000+/ST600R troubleshooting
There is no GPS sensor in the system. I thought the remote would display heading as fed from the tiller pilot #4 pin (yellow). I assume this is an electronic compass in the ST1000? (maybe I am mistaken, but I thought it did that several years ago)? I was doing this testing while stationary on the mooring.

So, maybe it is working as expected.....how could I get the remote to display heading - would I have to run the ST1000+ through my instruments first and then back to the remote 3-pin plug?

If I wanted to hook up the ST1000+ to my SeatalkNG backbone, how would I do this? I have a new i60 and i70 system daisychained with the wind/depth/speed going through the itc-5.

It looks like for wind data, I bypass the itc-5 and run the wind data via a cable extension to the 6-pin plug, correct?

Thanks for your help,
Wes J.
07-26-16, 01:16 PM (This post was last modified: 07-26-16 01:22 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
John,

Please ignore my earlier response, as I had incorrectly read your thread, believing that your had a S1000 rather than a ST1000. The ST1000 features an internal heading sensor which must be calibrated and heading would then be displayed on the ST100's LCD display.

The ST1000 may be interfaced to a SeaTalk bus along with the ST600R or the wireless base station for S100 or SmartController wireless autopilot remote. Instruments, autopilot components, GPS sensors, and chartplotters featuring a 1st generation SeaTalk communications interface which do not additionally feature a SeaTalkng communications interface (ex. ST40/60 Instrument Displays, S1000, ST600R, Wireless AP Controller, Raystar 125 GPS Sensor, etc.) may be interfaced to one another, in any order, using standard SeaTalk Cables. SeaTalk Cables can be joined using D244 SeaTalk Junction Blocks, splices, marine grade terminal strips, or R55006 SeaTalk Auxiliary Junction Boxes. SeaTalk Cable is available in 15", 1m, 3m, 5m, and 9m lengths to support interfacing these products. This method of interfacing is referred to as a SeaTalk bus.

A SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter will be used to interface your older equipment to to the SeaTalkng backbone which is presently installed onboard your vessel. Each SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter will support a SeaTalk bus of up to five SeaTalk devices. Should your present SeaTalk bus consist of more than five SeaTalk devices, then it will need to be divided into smaller busses including no more than five SeaTalk devices. Each bus will in turn be connected to the yellow SeaTalk port of a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. The SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converters may be interfaced to one another via appropriate length of SeaTalkng Backbone Cable. The SeaTalk bus will need to be branched or extended and connected to the yellow (SeaTalk) port of an E22158 SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit which has been upgraded with v2.01 or later SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter software. In your case, the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter will simply be interfaced to one end of your vessel's present SeaTalkng backbone via an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Backbone Cable.

SeaTalkng devices (ex. MFDs, SPX/Evolution autopilots, ST70/ST70+ MFIDs and Autopilot Control Heads, i50/i60/i70 Instrument Displays, etc.) will in turn be interfaced to the white SeaTalkng spur ports of the SeaTalkng backbone / SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter(s) using appropriate length of SeaTalkng Spur Cable. Additional SeaTalk spur ports may be created within the backbone by connecting SeaTalkng 5-Way Connectors and/or SeaTalkng T-Pieces to the SeaTalkng backbone / SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter(s) using appropriate lengths of SeaTalkng Backbone Cable. Up to three SeaTalkng Devices may be daisy chained to one another using SeaTalkng Spur Cable to create a single spur having a total length of no more than 5m. Daisy chaining SeaTalkng devices rather than connecting each SeaTalkng device individually to the backbone has the advantage of reducing the amount of cable which may otherwise need be chased throughout the boat.

The SeaTalk bus will be to be disconnected from its present power source ... note: the red terminal of an autopilot course computer's SeaTalk port is designed to provide power to the SeaTalk bus. As a best practice, the SeaTalk bus will instead be powered via the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. Accordingly, when connecting the ST1000 to the SeaTalk bus, only the ST1000's SeaTalk Data (yellow, Pin 4) and ground (blue, Pin 2) terminals should be connected to the SeaTalk cable which in turn is connecting the ST1000 to the SeaTalk bus. The red lead of this same SeaTalk cable will be insulated to prevent shorting.

It is strongly recommended that all devices featuring a SeaTalkng socket be updated with the latest available Raymarine product software updates. Such updates may be performed via a Raymarine MFD featuring a SeaTalkng port which has been interfaced to the SeaTalkng backbone. Should the system not include a Raymarine MFD featuring a SeaTalkng port, then the software within your SeaTalkng devices may be updated by a Certified Raymarine Installer, some Raymarine dealers (recommend calling the dealer before visiting), or by the Raymarine’s Product Repair Center.
07-26-16, 06:10 PM
Ok, thanks for the SeaTalk tutorial (some of which I followed).

So, back to the original problem - the ST600R remote is not showing the ST1000 course computer heading on the LCD display - how do I troubleshoot this? Is there a way to check if the yellow (pin 4) from the ST1000 is outputting the correct data?

I suspect the remote is broken, but before I replace it, I'd like to make sure the ST1000 is still OK. If not, then I have to repair or replace the entire system.....

-Wes J
07-27-16, 10:33 AM (This post was last modified: 07-27-16 10:34 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
If connecting the ST600R alone to the ST1000+, you will need to interface the ST600R not only the ST1000's SeaTalk Data (yellow, Pin 4), but also to the ground (blue, Pin 2) and 12V power terminals. Should you had done so and the problem persists, then there is either a fault with the ST1000 or ST600R.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=447]

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)