Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
e127 and ST60 Autopilot
06-14-16, 09:17 AM
e127 and ST60 Autopilot
Upgraded my e127 to the latest software release (May 2016) and now my autopilot is rendered just about useless - will not hold any course and zig zags widely when trying to use. Operating the ST60 from the MFD and prior to the update of the software it worked fine. I see a note with the software update that my autopilot will need to be recalibrated. Is this correct and if so will recalibration be required for all future software updates? Any other suggestions would be welcome if this is not a autopilot recalibration issue.
Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-14-16, 09:41 AM (This post was last modified: 06-14-16 09:46 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: e127 and ST60 Autopilot
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum cbd,

Please note that Raymarine has produced no autopilot having the name ST60 ... it is assumed that you are referring to a ST6000, ST6001, or ST60002 Autopilot Control Head which is in turn interfaced to an autopilot course computer (model not specified). Heading calibration and alignment data for autopilot course computers which would have been interfaced to a ST600x Autopilot Control Head are stored within the autopilot's course computer, not within the MFD. The software updates for a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs should in no way affect these older autopilots when operating in Auto Mode, as the updates included with the a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD software updates are limited to the Evolution autopilots.

Given the reported symptoms, it is recommended that the autopilot course computer be disconnected from all other marine electronics devices except for the autopilot control head, fluxgate compass, rudder reference transducer, and autopilot drive actuator. The autopilot should then be tested in Auto mode. Should the problem abate, then please respond accordingly. However, should the problem persist, then then it is recommended that your autopilot's compass be re-calibrated and realigned. Should the problem persist it is possible that your autopilot's fluxgate heading sensor, gyro (if so equipped), rudder reference unit, or autopilot course computer may have experienced a failure of the circuitry responsible for sensing/processing rudder position or sensing, processing, or stabilizing heading.

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how to test a rudder reference transducer. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how to test a rudder reference transducer. Should a fault with either of these sensors be identified, then the sensor(s) should be replaced. Should no fault with these sensors be identified, then it would be recommended that the plug connecting the gyro of S1G/S2G/S3G Autopilot Course Computers be unplugged (will permit the autopilot to instead perform as a S1/S2/S3 Autopilot Course Computer) and that the system be performance tested. Should the problem persist and the autopilot course computer be S1/S1G/S2/S2G/S3/S3G, then the autopilot course computer will need to be replaced, as Raymarine can no longer service these autopilot course computers. In such cases an Evolution Autopilot Control Head, Evolution ACU of appropriate rating, and Evolution Sensor Core would be recommended. Should the autopilot course computer be a SPX autopilot course computer, then it is recommended that it be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.
06-25-16, 07:25 AM (This post was last modified: 06-27-16 10:39 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck,
Thanks for the info and sorry for the incorrect autopilot number - it is a ST6002. Now I am thinking I am just going to replace the AP with the new Evolution and replace St 60, speed and depth (2 separate units) with the new i60 units and get rid of the Seatalking converter which should result in a present day, totally integrated system. Are there any special cables that I need to order or do the new units come with Seatalking cables to daisy chain Evolution, i60 depth and i60 speed units together?
Thanks!
06-27-16, 10:51 AM (This post was last modified: 06-27-16 10:51 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
The i50/i60 instruments are supplied with a 400mm spur cable. Up to the SeaTalkng devices may be daisy chained together to form a spur having a maximum length of 5m (sum of spur cables linking backbone to the farthest device within the spur. Evolution autopilots are supplied with a SeaTalkng backbone starter kit. Depending upon the cable routing distances between the instruments, autopilot components, and MFD, it may be necessary to replace or add SeaTalkng networking components to permit all products featuring a SeaTalkng communications interface to be interfaced to the powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng backbone.
07-05-16, 12:48 PM (This post was last modified: 07-05-16 01:54 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck - Installed new Evolution AP over the 4th weekend along with new i50 depth. The quality (operation, functionality, ease of set-up, performance) is PHENOMENAL compared to my old set-up. These flir guys know what they are doing. THANK YOU for your help/guidance.
07-05-16, 01:54 PM (This post was last modified: 08-08-16 01:52 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
You're welcome.
08-04-16, 12:10 PM (This post was last modified: 08-08-16 01:52 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck,
When entering a single waypoint (go to cursor for example) or starting an autoroute I have to repeatedly (over and over again) respond to the "change status" message on the screen until it stops appearing. It comes up multiple times even when going to a single "go to cursor" waypoint and loads of times when starting on a multi waypoint autoroute. Am I doing something wrong here??
Thanks!
08-26-16, 08:43 AM
cbd,

The symptom reported may be indicative of a problem with the installation or a product which has been interfaced to the system, causing data to be looped within the system. Please attach a system diagram to this thread identifying each of the products which has been included within the marine electronics system and how each has been interfaced to the system. Be certain to include any computers interfaced to the system and identify the navigational software application(s) being executed on the computer(s).
08-26-16, 02:16 PM (This post was last modified: 08-26-16 02:28 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck,
Hope you can read this attachment. Al gear is current Ray gear, no computers, no third party HW or SW and am on current SW release for all gear, At 703-819-6593 for about two hours,
Thanks, Bruce
08-26-16, 02:52 PM
Bruce,

I have a concern with your installation regarding the number of devices which are being powered by the ACU-200's SeaTalkng port. It is recommended that the ACU-200's SeaTalkng port power switch be configured OFF, and that the SeaTalkng backbone be powered from a switched 12VDC power circuit connected to a spur socket at the approximate midpoint of the backbone's LEN load. I also have a concern regarding the total length of the daisy chain of SeaTalkng devices ... what is the total length of SeaTalkng spur cable connecting the three devices shown within the daisy chain to the SeaTalkng backbone?