Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Questions on a New Configuration
10-17-19, 12:23 PM
RE: [CA11] Questions on a New Configuration
James,

Q1) Now with having to change to the SR200 weather module (LH3 compatibility) and I'm probably now going with the RVX1000 sonar control as well, plus connecting two Axiom/Axiom Pro screens, how would I adapt all this? One option is to use the existing SeaTalk Hs switch but that would require up to four adapters (A62360). Another option is to add an HS5 switch powered off the old SeaTalk Hs switch keeping only the radar on the old one. The last option would be to discard the old switch entirely and just go with an HS5 switch with one adapter to the radar. So three options. Which would be best? I'm thinking the last one because the old RJ45 connections are getting a bit temperamental at this point.
A1) Should there be issues with the currently installed SeaTalkhs Cables and/or the SeaTalkhs Network Switch then it would indeed be recommended that these items be replaced with appropriate lengths of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable and a HS5 RayNet Network Switch. These would then permit the MFDs, RVX1000, and SR200 to be networked to the HS5 RayNet Network Switch. As you have suggested the currently installed Digital Radar Cable may be adapted to be mated to a HS5 RayNet Network Switch via an A80247 RayNet (F) to RJ45 (F) Adapter.

A powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone will be installed to support interfacing the Evolution autopilot components, i50 Tridata instrument, and Data Master MFD as individual spurs to the backbone.

Q3a) Would I need further space on the HS5 for anything in the future?
A3a) Should additional compatible devices having an Ethernet communications interface be added to the system in the future then a second HS5 RayNet Network Switch may be added. Typically, the Gigabit ports of the switched would be joined to one another via an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable.

Q3b) Can a second switch be powered off the first?
A3b) Negative.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-29-19, 07:01 PM
I have two further questions. The first involves the existing autopilot which I would like to retain for now and work with the two new screens, Axiom Pro S 12 and Axiom 12. I will get a new switch, HS5 and use RayNet for communication between the two screens, SR-200, RA1048HD, and the external fish-finder box. In a previous answer you mentioned that:
Q3) I have an old ST7001+ autopilot which works fine and is not integrated with the present system. My plan is to replace it with an Evolution A/P eventually. Can this be left as a stand-alone unit with the Axiom screens for now until replaced next year?
A3. Yes. However, depending upon the model of autopilot course computer which the ST7001+ has been interfaced to, it may indeed be possible to interface it to the system to support use of the autopilot's Track mode feature.
1) I now know that the ST7001+ is connected to a "150G course computer". Will that support the Track mode feature? (My plan is to eventually replace this with an Evolution A/P and fully incorporate the SeaTalkng system.)
2) I will decide between using my current DSM300 (with an Airmar P319 transducer) to connect to the HS5 with an A80160 adapter OR move right to the RVX1000 external sounder module and get a pair of RV-212 transducers for RealVision. If I choose that route then the cable from the P319 (E66013) can be connected to the RVX1000 11 pin 1kW transducer connection with an adapter. Here is where I am confused: The P319 appears to have a 7 pin connector that went directly to the DSM300. What adapter do I now use to go from 7 pin to 11 pin?
Thank you for your assistance.
James
10-30-19, 10:07 AM (This post was last modified: 10-30-19 10:11 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
James,

Q1) I now know that the ST7001+ is connected to a "150G course computer". Will that support the Track mode feature? (My plan is to eventually replace this with an Evolution A/P and fully incorporate the SeaTalkng system.)
A1) When interfaced to a 150G Course Computer in the manner specified here, it will indeed be possible to have the autopilot support Track mode. However, unlike a system which features an Evolution autopilot, the autopilot's control head must be used to command the autopilot into Auto, Track, and Standby modes as well as to configure the autopilot's settings.

Q2) If I choose that route then the cable from the P319 (E66013) can be connected to the RVX1000 11 pin 1kW transducer connection with an adapter. Here is where I am confused: The P319 appears to have a 7 pin connector that went directly to the DSM300. What adapter do I now use to go from 7 pin to 11 pin?
A2) Transducers which have been designed to be directly mated to a CP370, CP300, DSM300, DSM30, DSM250, or hsb/hsb2/SL Pathfinder Series Fishfinder Display should feature seven or eight female pins and an indexing pin in the arrangements shown within the plug diagrams below.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=3738]

Of the pins shown above only the seven pins within the arrangement shown in the lower image are used. The eighth pin referenced within the A80496 AXIOM Pro RVX 11-pin to CP370 style 8-pin Transducer Adapter's description is actually the large round indexing pin appearing at the top of the diagrams. The A80496 AXIOM Pro RVX 11-pin to CP370 style 8-pin Transducer Adapter is used with both with Axiom Pro RVX MFDs and RVX-1000 which in turn will be interfaced to a transducer which have been designed to be directly mated to a CP370, CP300, DSM300, DSM30, DSM250, or hsb/hsb2/SL Pathfinder Series Fishfinder Display.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

10-30-19, 08:25 PM
Thank you Chuck. Great explanation about the transducer because I was confused on the 7 pin & 8 pin labels.
Also since the Axiom Pro S unit will accept a NMEA 0183 connection, it should link with the 150G ACU (until I get the Evolution A/P). I assume that I would just have to program its tracking capability through the MFD screen then, as you say, operate it from the ST7001+ control head.
Thanks again.
11-01-19, 12:03 PM
James,

Q. I assume that I would just have to program its tracking capability through the MFD screen then, as you say, operate it from the ST7001+ control head.
A. Correct
11-12-19, 02:29 PM
Thank you.
My next question concerns connecting the electronics to a 12V UPS power supply.
Is this something that I should do with the new system and do you have any recommendations?
11-12-19, 02:43 PM
JP460,

Q. My next question concerns connecting the electronics to a 12V UPS power supply.
Is this something that I should do with the new system and do you have any recommendations?
A. I'm not certain what is being asked here. Are you asking whether a regulated power supply or power conditioner is required to power the equipment onboard the vessel or are you seeking information concerning how power the MFD off the vessel? Regardign the former, I would initially recommend that the equipment be powered in the same away that the E-Series Classic MFDs had been powered. Regarding the the latter, Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.
11-14-19, 07:54 AM (This post was last modified: 11-14-19 08:53 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Sorry, I will try to clarify. It is the former. My current Classic E screens lose power momentarily when the starboard engine is started. Each of my two 8D batteries handles one diesel engine 12V start plus house duties. I am asking the following:
1) Is a device such as a "DC UPS" unit recommended for the proposed Axiom MFD's or other electronics in order to maintain power to the units during engine starting?
2) If so, do you have any recommendations?
Thank you.
11-14-19, 09:01 AM (This post was last modified: 11-14-19 09:22 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
JP460,

The requirement to properly isolate marine electronics from surge/underpower conditions is no different for Axiom/Axiom Pro/Axiom XL MFDs than for other Raymarine products. Please click here to view a FAQ, the last paragraphs of which specifically address this subject. Accordingly, should such a device have been required within your prior system to prevent the MFDs from rebooting when the engines were started, then the same would be required again. Please refer to the previously referenced FAQ for products which have been commonly used for this purpose.
12-11-19, 04:07 PM
As we get close to getting the components together for installation, a few of questions are coming up:
1) ClearCruise: Since I will be placing the AR200 on the hardtop to use as a GPS or GNSS sensor, I might as well be thinking ahead for Augmented Reality. Is it best to purchase a package (T70452, T70453) including camera instead of separate components? I believe the packages contain network cabling?
2) Should the AR200 be post mounted or can it be on the flat hardtop?
3) Which camera would serve the purpose better for AR? The bullet or dome camera? Dome appears to be more wide angle but what is your recommendation?
4) Transducer pair. I plan to get either the RV-212 (bronze) or RV-312 (plastic) and have a fiberglass hull. Are there pros or cons to bronze versus plastic?
Thank you once again for your help.
James