Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auto Pilot Not Functioning After Update to 15.59
02-16-16, 07:28 PM
Auto Pilot Not Functioning After Update to 15.59
We took our boat out for a short cruise to check the systems since it had been several months since underway. We have an Evolution auto pilot with an ACU400 and p70r. When underway and switched to "auto" for the current course from the p70r, the auto pilot suddenly swings and the boat turns in circles. It was working fine before this trip and the only thing I have done while in layup was to upgrade the software to Lighthouse v15.59.

Back at the dock I have gone through the normal checks -- all electrical connections seem to be tight throughout and the connections to the pump and hydraulic ram are also tight. The current software for the Evolution components is as follows: EV1: 1.11 (RSCP V1 L4), ACU400: 1.13 (RSCP V1 L4), and p70r: 2.17. There have been no machinery or equipment additions to the boat.

Thinking that the MFD software upgrade might have caused a problem, I went through the Set-up Wizard. The only anomaly was during the Dockside wizard, the rudder check confirmed that the rudder moved full over to port. However, when asked if the rudder moved to starboard, the rudder had not moved hard over, but only to midships.

Any thoughts as to what is going on here?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-17-16, 09:35 AM
RE: Auto Pilot Not Functioning After Update to 15.59
This sounds like the heading sensor loosing the deviation for the heading. You can look at this by pressing Menu>Setup>Diagnostics>About Display> then scroll to the bottom of the page where deviation is reported, if the number is dashes follow the description below.

The new Evolution autopilot system does not have a specific Seatrial calibration, you are to do the Dockside Wizard, then take the boat out for a 15-20 minute cruise, doing a few circles and figure 8's to show the system all the points on the compass rose, keeping the speed between 3-15 knots. While out on the water, press Menu>Setup>Diagnostics>About Pilot, scroll to the very bottom of the page to look at the Deviation. If it is within 15 degrees, you are done. Restart compass is used to drop the Deviation in the system and have the heading sensor start over calibrating the Deviation, shouldn't be used unless you are relocating the EV-1 heading sensor. Compass Lock, is to lock the heading sensor to the current Deviation in the unit, I would recommend that you lock the compass once you have the autopilot functioning the way you want it, usually after a couple of trips where you use the autopilot and it is functioning properly, because the heading sensor is always learning, trying to get a better deviation on the heading and learning the movement of the vessel for better course correction. Once you Lock Compass it stops the learning process and holds the settings that it has for the vessel.
02-18-16, 08:13 PM (This post was last modified: 02-19-16 10:07 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks -- will report back when we next take the boat out.
02-19-16, 11:42 AM
Let us know the outcome, thanks.
02-23-16, 02:43 PM
(02-19-16 11:42 AM)Steve - Raymarine - Moderator Wrote:  Let us know the outcome, thanks.

Before getting underway today, I checked the deviation and it showed 4 degrees. Just returned from short trip and completed several figure eights. After completion of these turns, deviation showed 3 degrees. However, when I activated the auto pilot, the rudder swung hard over to starboard, the boat turned in a circle, the alarms sounded that we were off course, and the auto pilot went back to standby.

Any suggestions?
02-24-16, 02:43 PM
If you press Auto and the drive goes hardover, then the motor polarization is incorrect and you will need to switch the Motor A/B wires terminated to the ACU.
02-25-16, 02:39 PM
(02-24-16 02:43 PM)Steve - Raymarine - Moderator Wrote:  If you press Auto and the drive goes hardover, then the motor polarization is incorrect and you will need to switch the Motor A/B wires terminated to the ACU.

I went to the boat this morning, prepared to switch the motor wires as suggested. But, I thought that since the autopilot worked before, the motor must have been wired correctly. So, I went through the set-up wizards again. This time I noted that the pump selection was wrong (I missed this before) and changed that. Went through the rest of the set-up procedures and took the boat out. Now, the autopilot worked fine. However, I also noted that the system was now displaying true vs. magnetic courses and changed that as well.

Is it possible that when I did the software updates that there was a system reset?

In any event, things are now back to normal.
02-26-16, 10:29 AM (This post was last modified: 02-26-16 10:30 AM by Steve - Raymarine - Moderator.)
There is a possibility when changing firmware in the MFD that other products on the Seatalk NG be upgraded as well, which will cause the Evolution autopilot system to have to be re-calibrated. Good to hear you are back up and running!
02-26-16, 07:33 PM
Perhaps with the new "bundled" software updates there should be a warning message displaying "Autopilot calibration required" if any changes are made to autopilot component software as part of the MFD software update.
02-29-16, 11:03 AM
Noted.