Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A78 network to S1000 Connection
08-15-16, 08:02 PM
A78 network to S1000 Connection
Good Evening,
I have a Raymarine A78 MFD and I am trying to connect it to a Raymarine S1000 A/P.

I have done a similar install on a friends boat with a c120 classic and a EV-100 power which is working great but this A78 / S1000 is giving me fits.
I have followed the installation instructions for the S1000 completely. The pump is in, the hydro system is bled and functional - the course computer and alarm are installed and powered per Raymarines directions.
The final task is to connect the A78 to the S1000 by a SeaTalk network.

As I understand it the course computer can be connected to a gps source several ways. Because Raymarine uses their own network I am choosing to follow their direction. What I have done is this: I followed the connection directions to a seatalk network for the course computer but I am having trouble with this first connection. Page 25 diagram c of the S1000 Autopilot Installation Guide states that I need to connect yellow - yellow, blk - blk and red -red in the seatalk system. Am I correct to figure I can use either a standard spur (A06039)cable cut and spliced or a spur stripped to end cable part #A06043 to make this connection? If not then what will be my option?

Secondly can I use a spur cable ( A06039) to connect the A78 to the network backbone and if not which cable should be used? The backbone will consist of either a 5 way connector(A06064) or is it necessary to use a SeaTalk1 & SeaTalkng converter (R52131) to join the two. And if I have to use the converter could you explain the sequence of connections for me?

Finally I understand that either connection setup will require a fused power source, I also understand the system must be properly terminated using the appropriate terminators.

Thanks you for your time and effort with this.
Chris
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-16-16, 10:24 AM
RE: A78 network to S1000 Connection
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Chris,

Q1: As I understand it the course computer can be connected to a gps source several ways. Because Raymarine uses their own network I am choosing to follow their direction. What I have done is this: I followed the connection directions to a seatalk network for the course computer but I am having trouble with this first connection. Page 25 diagram c of the S1000 Autopilot Installation Guide states that I need to connect yellow - yellow, blk - blk and red -red in the seatalk system. Am I correct to figure I can use either a standard spur (A06039)cable cut and spliced or a spur stripped to end cable part #A06043 to make this connection? If not then what will be my option?
A1: It is not possible to do as you have suggested. As the a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs do not feature a SeaTalk communications interface, a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter must be installed within a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng backbone to which the MFD has been interfaced as a spur. The yellow and shield leads of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Cable included with the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter will be interfaced to the yellow and shield leads of the S1000 ... the red leads will not be used and should be insulated to prevent shorting. The SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Cable will then be plugged in to the yellow SeaTalk socket of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter.

Q2. Secondly can I use a spur cable ( A06039) to connect the A78 to the network backbone and if not which cable should be used?
A2. Yes

Q3. The backbone will consist of either a 5 way connector(A06064) or is it necessary to use a SeaTalk1 & SeaTalkng converter (R52131) to join the two.
A3: See the response to Q1.

Q4. And if I have to use the converter could you explain the sequence of connections for me?
A4. See the response to Q1. Should the only two devices to be interfaced be the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter and the S1000, then a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit alone is all that would be needed. The two blue Termination Plugs would be inserted into the ST-STng Converter's two blue backbone sockets. The a78 MFD would be interface to one of the ST-STng Converter's white spur sockets via an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Spur Cable. The supplied SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Cable would be interfaced to the S1000 per the response to Q1. Finally, the supplied SeaTalkng Power Cable will be interfaced to a switched 12VDC power circuit and will then be plugged into the remaining white spur socket of the ST-STng Converter.
08-16-16, 02:52 PM
Thank You very much!
Regards
Chris
08-16-16, 03:36 PM
You're welcome.