Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Evolution AP Seatalk questions
08-18-16, 11:17 PM
New Evolution AP Seatalk questions
I just purchesed an EV-200 autopilot and have some questions regarding seatalk.
1. Can I plug the backbone cable directly into the EV-1 or do I have to use a T connector?
2. I want to tie my C90W into the AP system. It has a STng port so I should be able to connect it in. It is in the overhead so I will need around 20ft of ST cable. Are there issues with using a cable that long?
3. The C90W has its own power source. Are there any issues with power connecting to the ST network?

I am looking forward to using the new AP
Bob Schmidt
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-19-16, 09:17 AM (This post was last modified: 08-19-16 09:17 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: New Evolution AP Seatalk questions
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Bob,

Q1. Can I plug the backbone cable directly into the EV-1 or do I have to use a T connector?
A1. Devices having SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications interfaces cannot be directly interfaced to the SeaTalkng backbone as you have queried. Instead, they must be interfaced as spurs to a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng backbone.

Q2. I want to tie my C90W into the AP system. It has a STng port so I should be able to connect it in. It is in the overhead so I will need around 20ft of ST cable. Are there issues with using a cable that long?
A2. Consistent with the response to Q1, the MFD will be interfaced to a spur socket within the backbone via an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Spur Cable. The maximum length of a spur is 6m.

Q3. The C90W has its own power source. Are there any issues with power connecting to the ST network?
A3. Raymarine's MFD's are neither designed to be powered by nor supply power to a SeaTalkng backbone. It is recommended that as a best practice that the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone be powered using a SeaTalkng Power Cable which has been connected as a spur to the backbone at the approximate mid-point of the backbone's LEN load.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply