Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dual Station Depth Speed Requirement
08-24-16, 12:45 PM
Dual Station Depth Speed Requirement
I have a requirement to display vessel speed and depth on both the upper helm (bridge) and lower helm positions (dual station). I think the i40 Bidata displays fit the bill if I use the all-in-one depth/speed transducer (this last item is very important to be confirmed as I need a transom mount depth/speed transducer... P/N being on the drawing below).

Please review my drawing below and advise me if you think I have the system connections correct. I also need confirmation that all the P/Ns on my drawing are correct. Thank-you.

[Image: DualStationDepthSpeed_zpsrelaeybs.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-24-16, 02:53 PM (This post was last modified: 08-24-16 02:53 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: Dual Station Depth Speed Requirement
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Eggbert,

It is certainly possible configure a second i40 Bidata to repeat Depth and Speed data from an i40 Bidata which has been interfaced to a compatible transducer. Please note that transom mounted depth transducers should not be used on vessels having inboard propulsion. Should the vessel feature inboard propulsion, then a thru-hull transducer(s) would need to be installed. If using a transom mounted transducer, the correct part number for the transducer is E26028-pz.
08-25-16, 09:17 AM
Thank-you for your prompt response. I had seen that other transducer P/N as well, but wasn't sure. Thank-you for pointing that out.

I assume you don't recommend a transom mount transducer for an inboard due to bubbles and noise from a fixed shaft propeller that would be forward of the transducer. As mine is an in-board/out-board, with the prop quite a bit aft of the transom I would think I'll be alright.
08-25-16, 09:35 AM
Eggbert,

Q1: I assume you don't recommend a transom mount transducer for an inboard due to bubbles and noise from a fixed shaft propeller that would be forward of the transducer. As mine is an in-board/out-board, with the prop quite a bit aft of the transom I would think I'll be alright.

A1) Correct.
08-25-16, 11:26 AM
Thank-you.

I have one other thought. I take it you can't configure one i40 Display to turn the other ON or OFF.

So I think I'll make the Bridge unit the Master. That way, when I operate the (Bridge mounted) Fish Finder, I can turn of i40 system to eliminate any interference.

Not sure what frequency the i40 operates at, but the Fish Finder uses several, one of which in think is 200 kHz.

Alternately I could put the 3-way SeaTalk connector under the Bridge dash and add a switch to the SeaTalk 12VDC PWR Cable to turn the whole system ON or OFF from above.

Thank-you again for your help.
08-25-16, 02:23 PM
Eggbert,

Raymarine's analog instrument transducers are designed to operate at 200kHz. Should your bridge be the primary navigation station, then your suggestion to install a switch at that location to control power to the i40 instruments is indeed a sound one.