Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ES128 video out questions
09-12-16, 12:51 PM
ES128 video out questions
I want to connect an external 12V powered 19" monitor via hdmi output from my ES128. (for viewing from back deck while fishing) I read in the installation manual that I need to purchase the 5meter cable (16.4') and that I need to have a separate power source than the ES128's 12V power source.
2 Questions arise from this:
cable length: I may need a bit more length. How far can I extend the hdmi cable?
12V power source: I don't understand why I can't use the same 12V power source for my external monitor. Am I missing something here?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-13-16, 10:02 AM (This post was last modified: 09-19-16 03:33 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: ES128 video out questions
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Mark,

15m (50 ft) is generally considered the maximum reliable cable length for HDMI. There are a number of ways to extend this distance. Please click here to view an article addressing how to extend this distance. As indicated within the installation instructions for the eS-Series MFDs, the HDMI cable must only be connected to an external display that is electrically isolated from the vessel’s dc power supply (i.e the screen and the 0V of the external display’s HDMI connector must not have a direct connection to the vessel’s dc power supply). Accordingly, it is recommended that you consider using a power conditioner (ex. Mastervolt Magic, etc.) to power the monitor.
10-31-16, 02:01 PM
I just ran into a similar issue where my new eS128 wouldn't display on the TV in my salon via the HDMI cable. I got it to work without having to repower or isolate the TV by putting an HDMI switcher in-line with the cable from the eS128. The one I used is this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018D...UTF8&psc=1

It's an older model but it's what I had laying around the house. If you can't find this exact model there are many similar units available that'll handle higher resolution, etc but I can't confirm that they'd work too.
10-31-16, 02:32 PM
Noted.