Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Product Selection Advice needed...
09-13-16, 01:16 PM
Product Selection Advice needed...
From Ray marines list...

- a list of the marine electronics products which are presently installed onboard the boat:

E120 (older generation)
Furuno Radar 1835
SIMRAD AP 28 Autopilot
I also have a RM A98 MFD that is NOT installed

- a list of the features/capabilities that you are seeking to add

I like the touchscreen and functionality of the A98 as well as the downchirp sounder so I would like to use that as a main unit...

- type of usage (serious fishing, cruising, offshore sailing, bay sailing, racing, etc.)
Fishing/Cruising.

- type vessel (displacement powerboat, planing powerboat, sailboat, etc.)

32 Blackfin Flybridge

- any physical constraints (ex. size of the display, desire for in-hull transducer, etc.)

None
- type of steering (cable, hydraulic, chain & sprocket, cable assisted hydraulic, fly by wire, tiller, etc.) ... a consideration for autopilots

Cable

- vessel length ... a consideration for depth transducers and autopilots

Anyways here is my situation.. I have the above installed and would like to stick with the newer generation A series stuff. If I were to install the A98 what else would I need other than a new transducer (I would like to switch to a Thru-Hull) I would need another display and probably a Radar. Any suggestions on which ones? Do I need a whole MFD (A98) or is there some type of stripped own "monitor" that would network with this to display things. How about networking, what type of extra stuff would I need to network two displays an a Radar (which I also need help chosing for this type of Vessel).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-13-16, 02:11 PM
RE: Product Selection Advice needed...
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Sam,

Q1: If I were to install the A98 what else would I need other than a new transducer (I would like to switch to a Thru-Hull)?
A1: The subject vessels features inboard propulsion and as such would not be compatible with a transom mounted transducer. Should you desire to use the a98's internal 600' CHIRP (conical) sonar / DownVision sonar, then it would be necessary to interface the MFD's transducer socket to one of the following transducers:
- CPT-110 (Plastic) - DownVision Transducer Through-Hull
- CPT-120 (Bronze) - DownVision Transducer Through-Hull
Should you desired to fish waters deeper than 600', then it would be necessary to interface the a98 MFD to a CP370 (or DSM300 should one presently be installed onboard), CP470, or CP570 and a compatible transducer.

Q2: I would need another display and probably a Radar. Any suggestions on which ones?
A2: The a98 may be interfaced via Ethernet to any model of a-Series MFD, c-Series MFD, e-Series MFD, eS-Series MFD, or gS-Series MFD. When so networked, the MFDs will be capable of sharing all resources, features, and data except for NTSC/PAL video. Regarding radar, it is recommended that a RD424 HD Radome or 4KW 48" HD Digital Open Array radar be installed, as these radar products offer superior performance in conjunction with fishing.

Q3: Do I need a whole MFD (A98) or is there some type of stripped own "monitor" that would network with this to display things.
A3: As the a98 MFD features internal CHIRP/DownVision fishfinder sonar, the other a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD(s) that it will be networked to need not. As you seem to like the a-Series MFDs, it is recommended that you consider a a9x5 MFD(s) as an additional display(s).

Q3: How about networking, what type of extra stuff would I need to network two displays an a Radar (which I also need help chosing for this type of Vessel).
A3: The a9x and a12x MFDs feature a pair of Ethernet Network ports permitting them to be interfaced to two devices. In this case, the MFD's may be interfaced to one another via appropriate lengths of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable and the Digital Radar Cable may in turn be interfaced to unused Ethernet Network port of one of the MFDs.
09-13-16, 10:19 PM (This post was last modified: 09-14-16 08:57 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you for response. If i got.an E127 from a friend could that unit use the downvision from the A98 or would i need to buy an external module? Or would downvision/CHIRP only work on unit that has it built in?
09-14-16, 09:01 AM
Sam,

As a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs which have been interfaced to one another via an Ethenet Network are designed to share all system data and system resources (except for NTSC/PAL video), it would indeed be possible to interface an e127 MFD to an a98 MFD (w/CHIRP/DownVision transducer) and then view DownVision sonar imagery on the e127 MFD.
09-14-16, 04:23 PM (This post was last modified: 09-14-16 04:46 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Okay and same goes for the E125, correct?
09-14-16, 04:46 PM
Yes, the same would apply to an e125 MFD.
09-21-16, 06:34 PM
Chuck I have one last question:

Does the E125 and the A98 use the same power cord? I have an A98 already installed on my other boat and wanted to test out the E125 I just purchased and was hoping I could just plug it in to make sure it works correctly...

Secondly, where can I figure out how to network an A98 and E125? Is it as simple as using one Ethernet cord? which type and do I need to program them somehow or do they automatically recognize?
09-22-16, 08:54 AM
Sam,

Yes, the e125 MFD and a98 MFD both utilize the same Power/NMEA 0183/Video Input Cable.

The 9" and 12" a/c/e/eS-Series MFDs feature two Ethernet ports. The a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs are designed to be interfaced to one another or via a HS5 RayNet Network Switch via and appropriate length(s) of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable. Accordingly should a pair of these MFDs be installed onboard, then it would be possible to add up to two compatible products having an Ethernet communications interface (ex. Digital/HD/SuperHD Radar, Thermal Camera, CP100/CP200/CP370/CP470/CP570 Fishfinder Sounder Module, IP Camera, SR150, a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD, etc.). Should more than two such devices need to be added to the system or should the concept of operations include having only one of the MFD switched ON, then it would instead be necessary to install a HS5 RayNet Network Switch(es) and then connect each such device to the network switch via appropriate length(s) of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable.
09-26-16, 09:29 AM (This post was last modified: 09-26-16 02:45 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Awesome thanks for all the help I think I know what I am doing now.
09-26-16, 02:45 PM
You're welcome.