Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Replace C70 with eS78
09-20-16, 01:12 PM
Replace C70 with eS78
I have a C70 MFD, through hull traqnsducer, and radar on our boat (a 27' single I/O powered cruiser), but no autopilot. I would like to replace this system with the eS78/Quantum radar bundle. This seems like a rater simple replacement, but I have some questions:

1) With the C70 (and latest firmware) you must have a separate electronic compass in order to display radar returns over the chart. Does the eS78 have the same limitation? How does it get heading information when sitting still? Can it? Is there perhaps an "internal compass" in the unit itself?

2) What components would I need in order to have a functioning autopilot and would all autopilot controls be driven via the eS78 or would I need an additional autopilot control module?

3) I saw a Raymarine video on the Quantum radar. In this video it showed two cables while the narrator talked about the fact that you only need a single cable for power. Questions: Can I utilize existing power cables (from my C70 system), and can I use existing data cables and forego the wireless radar? If I forego the wireless radar, will I still be able to "stream" radar data to an iPad?

4) Lastly, I'm not sure what transducer I currently have on my C70, but it's through hull. Would this transducer likely work if I went with the eS77 unit understanding I won't have "Downvision" capabilities, but would prevent me from having to drill another [censored] in the boat?

Thank you for your help. I plan to purchase in the next few days.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-20-16, 02:39 PM
RE: Replace C70 with eS78
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum TexasPilot71,

Q1) With the C70 (and latest firmware) you must have a separate electronic compass in order to display radar returns over the chart. Does the eS78 have the same limitation? How does it get heading information when sitting still? Can it? Is there perhaps an "internal compass" in the unit itself?
A1) The circuitry of Raymarine's a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs does not include an internal heading sensor. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing the questions which you have raised.

Q2) What components would I need in order to have a functioning autopilot and would all autopilot controls be driven via the eS78 or would I need an additional autopilot control module?
Q2) In order to specify autopilot components for a power driven vessel, it would be necessary to know the following:
- does the vessel feature hydraulic steering, cable steering, or power assisted cable steering. For vessels having hydraulic steering, it would be necessary to have you specify the capacity of the vessel's steering ram. For power driven vessel's having cable steering or power assisted cable steering, it is generally recommended that the customer contact Aero Marine Services or other dealer of Octopus Mechanical Autopilot Drives to determine whether the vessel I/O may be fitted with an Octopus Type R drive. If so, then the drive would typically be mated to a T70156 EV-200 Power as it is onboard my own boat powered by a Mercruiser powered I/O w/cable driven power assisted steering. While it is possible to omit an autopilot control head when an Evolution autopilot has been interfaced to an a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD, it is considered a best installation practice to install an autopilot control head at each steering station.

Q3) I saw a Raymarine video on the Quantum radar. In this video it showed two cables while the narrator talked about the fact that you only need a single cable for power. Questions: Can I utilize existing power cables (from my C70 system), and can I use existing data cables and forego the wireless radar? If I forego the wireless radar, will I still be able to "stream" radar data to an iPad?
A3) All Quantum Radomes feature a power cable and the currently installed radar cable may be spliced to a Quantum Radome Power Cable to supply power to the radome and avoid chasing the Quantum Radome's Power Cable. However, should no Quantum Radome Data Cable be chased, then the MFD would be restricted to Wi-Fi communications with the radome. Raymarine offers Q24C Quantum Radomes featuring a wired communications in addition to a Wi-Fi communication circuitry and Q24W Quantum Radomes featuring only a Wi-Fi communication circuitry. Raymarine's Mobile Apps are designed to repeat the screen image of the MFD which the mobile device has established a Wi-Fi connection to. Accordingly, these apps are equally capable of displaying system radar imagery from MFDs which have been interfaced to radomes which have been interfaced to the MFD via Wi-Fi or via a wired interfaced.

Q4) Lastly, I'm not sure what transducer I currently have on my C70, but it's through hull. Would this transducer likely work if I went with the eS77 unit understanding I won't have "Downvision" capabilities, but would prevent me from having to drill another [censored] in the boat?
A4). The currently installed transducer may certainly not be mate to or adapted for use with the CHIRP (conical) / DownVision fishfinder sonar circuitry an eSx8 MFD. However, if the currently installed transducer is a fishfinder transducer and is currently interfaced to a DSM250, DSM30, or DSM300 Digital Sounder Module, then it may be adapted (w/E66066 Transducer Adapter) to be mated to an eSx8 MFD.
09-20-16, 02:39 PM
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum TexasPilot71,

Q1) With the C70 (and latest firmware) you must have a separate electronic compass in order to display radar returns over the chart. Does the eS78 have the same limitation? How does it get heading information when sitting still? Can it? Is there perhaps an "internal compass" in the unit itself?
A1) The circuitry of Raymarine's a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs does not include an internal heading sensor. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing the questions which you have raised.

Q2) What components would I need in order to have a functioning autopilot and would all autopilot controls be driven via the eS78 or would I need an additional autopilot control module?
Q2) In order to specify autopilot components for a power driven vessel, it would be necessary to know the following:
- does the vessel feature hydraulic steering, cable steering, or power assisted cable steering. For vessels having hydraulic steering, it would be necessary to have you specify the capacity of the vessel's steering ram. For power driven vessel's having cable steering or power assisted cable steering, it is generally recommended that the customer contact Aero Marine Services or other dealer of Octopus Mechanical Autopilot Drives to determine whether the vessel I/O may be fitted with an Octopus Type R drive. If so, then the drive would typically be mated to a T70156 EV-200 Power as it is onboard my own boat powered by a Mercruiser powered I/O w/cable driven power assisted steering. While it is possible to omit an autopilot control head when an Evolution autopilot has been interfaced to an a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD, it is considered a best installation practice to install an autopilot control head at each steering station.

Q3) I saw a Raymarine video on the Quantum radar. In this video it showed two cables while the narrator talked about the fact that you only need a single cable for power. Questions: Can I utilize existing power cables (from my C70 system), and can I use existing data cables and forego the wireless radar? If I forego the wireless radar, will I still be able to "stream" radar data to an iPad?
A3) All Quantum Radomes feature a power cable and the currently installed radar cable may be spliced to a Quantum Radome Power Cable to supply power to the radome and avoid chasing the Quantum Radome's Power Cable. However, should no Quantum Radome Data Cable be chased, then the MFD would be restricted to Wi-Fi communications with the radome. Raymarine offers Q24C Quantum Radomes featuring a wired communications in addition to a Wi-Fi communication circuitry and Q24W Quantum Radomes featuring only a Wi-Fi communication circuitry. Raymarine's Mobile Apps are designed to repeat the screen image of the MFD which the mobile device has established a Wi-Fi connection to. Accordingly, these apps are equally capable of displaying system radar imagery from MFDs which have been interfaced to radomes which have been interfaced to the MFD via Wi-Fi or via a wired interfaced.

Q4) Lastly, I'm not sure what transducer I currently have on my C70, but it's through hull. Would this transducer likely work if I went with the eS77 unit understanding I won't have "Downvision" capabilities, but would prevent me from having to drill another [censored] in the boat?
A4). The currently installed transducer may certainly not be mate to or adapted for use with the CHIRP (conical) / DownVision fishfinder sonar circuitry an eSx8 MFD. However, if the currently installed transducer is a fishfinder transducer and is currently interfaced to a DSM250, DSM30, or DSM300 Digital Sounder Module, then it may be adapted (w/E66066 Transducer Adapter) to be mated to an eSx8 MFD.
09-21-16, 08:17 AM
Terrific response. Many thanks!!
09-21-16, 08:55 AM
You're welcome.