Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AIS 650 transmission in Canada
09-23-16, 10:59 AM
AIS 650 transmission in Canada
On a recent cruise in British Columbia, I noticed that my AIS 650 wasn't transmitting my vessel location; reception worked fine. (We noticed this via web sites such as MarineTraffic.com.) Here in the states, both transmission and reception work correctly. Is there a configuration detail that could affect signal transmission in Canada?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-23-16, 12:37 PM (This post was last modified: 06-29-17 07:56 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: AIS 650 transmission in Canada
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Randy,

The Silent Mode feature of the AIS650 does not take into account the vessel's location. The AIS650 may not transmit your vessels data for any of the following reasons:
- the MFD's Silent Mode AIS Silent Mode setting has been configure to ON ... configure this setting to OFF

- density of AIS vessel traffic in the vessel's location has prevented the AIS transceiver from finding a slot to transmit data. Generally, such conditions will delay rather than prevent transmission from a Class B AIS transceiver.

- a software defect ... it is recommended that the AIS650's software level be checked using the ProAIS2 software supplied with the AIS650 (also found here) and if found to not be the latest version, that its software be updated with the latest AIS650 software update.

- the AIS650's two Silent Mode leads are forming a closed circuit ... if seeking to control the AIS650's Silent Mode feature via the MFD's user interface, then any exposed conductors of the AIS650's Silent mode leads should be clipped and then these leads should be insulated to prevent shorting or grounding.

- the AIS650's internal GPS receiver is unable to acquire/maintain a GPS position FIX ... GPS signal strength and GPS Status as sensed by the AIS650's internal GPS receiver may be viewed using the ProAIS2 software. The AIS650 is dependent upon a dedicated passive GPS antenna which is mated to the AIS650's GPS antenna socket. The AIS650's GPS antenna must be installed in a location affording it an unobstructed view of the skies overhead.
06-28-17, 06:18 PM (This post was last modified: 06-29-17 07:55 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Since this is thread, you may have discovered the likely reason for your transponder not showing up on Marine Traffic (or another AIS app). I have also noticed this along with friends with whom I cruise. The likely reason is that the area in which you experienced this may not have local receivers which feed into the Marine traffic app database. You may notice this with other apps as well. The best way to confirm whether you are transmitting is to call a nearby AIS-equipped boat (which you can see) and ask them whether they see your info.
06-29-17, 07:59 AM
American Tug's addition to this thread is indeed valid. Better equipped installers will often have a Ray70 or other combination VHF radio / AIS receiver onhand to confirm AIS transmissions by the Raymarine's AIS transceivers.