Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SL72 Plus
09-26-16, 12:31 PM
SL72 Plus
Good afternoon. This is my first post. I have the combination GPS/ Radar SL72. Currently the radar works fine, but the GPS is frozen. It is stuck on 24 nm and it has the hour glass figure on a blank screen.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

Sean
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-26-16, 03:50 PM (This post was last modified: 09-26-16 03:51 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: SL72 Plus
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Sean,

The symptoms reported are indicative of a problem with either the chart card or the display's Raychart reader. It is recommended that troubleshooting begin by verifing that the C-Map chart card is compatible with your display. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. If so, and should you have or have access to another chart card, then it would be recommended that the display be tested with another chart card or that the chart card be tested in another hsb2/SL Pathfinder Series Display in you marina. Alternatively, you may want to consider sending the chart card to C-Map to be tested. Should the problem be isolated to the display's Raychart reader, then it would unfortunately be necessary to replace the display, as Raymarine's Product Repair Center can no longer provide parts and service for the hsb/hsb2/SL Pathfinder Series Chartplotter, Radar, and Fishfinder displays.
09-29-16, 06:30 AM
Hi Chuck. Thanks for the reply. I have had the unit for 8 years, and never changed the card, so wouldn't that mean it is compatible?
09-29-16, 08:17 AM (This post was last modified: 09-29-16 08:17 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Sean,

Not necessarily. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing your latest question.
09-29-16, 09:08 AM
Thanks Chuck. I will try to get my hands on another card.
09-29-16, 09:10 AM
You're welcome.
10-05-16, 07:37 AM
Update.

Used the boat on Sunday and I turned on the GPS. No Fix. I then switched to the radar and later back to the GPS and it worked! I drove about 30 minutes, anchored the boat, used the MOB, and started fishing. After about 10 minutes I lost fox again. I switched to radar ad then back to GPS and I still had no signal, so I turned off the unit.

Fished for about two hours and turned back on the unit. The GPS worked fine and I made the trip home.

Any other possible issues? I have always had trouble losing the signal, and usually going from GPS to Radar and back to GPS will fix it.
10-05-16, 08:40 AM
The symptom reported is typically indicative of a failing GPS sensor. Should the GPS sensor be installed in a location affording it an unobstructed view of the skies overhead and the loaded system voltage supplied to the GPS sensor be greater than 10.8V, then it would be recommended that the GPS sensor be replaced with a Raystar 130 GPS Sensor per the FAQ found here.
10-06-16, 08:58 AM
Thanks Chuck. Do you think it is worth it to spend $400 on a unit this old?
10-06-16, 09:51 AM (This post was last modified: 10-06-16 09:54 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Sean,

The question which you are asking is a subjective one and should take into account all of the marine electronics products within your system, the condition of these products, and whether parts and service remain available for them. Please note that parts and services are no longer available for the hsb/hsb2/SL Pathfinders Series Radar, Chartplotter, and Fishfinder Displays. Considerations to upgrade to a currently offered MFD would require replacement of the currently installed radar scanner and its cable.