Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
C-95 - AIS 650 GPS conflict
09-27-16, 10:23 AM
C-95 - AIS 650 GPS conflict
I am using a C95 chartplotter connected over a Seatalk NG network to an ITC-5 (for wind and speed) and an AIS 650 transceiver. I am also using 2 x i70s displays and one p70 display for the autopilot. All gear is Raymarine.
I HAVE UPDATED ALL MY SOFTWARE FOR ALL MY RAYMARINE COMPONENTS with the latest update.

My problem is the two GPS receivers in the system (the one that connects to the AIS 650 and the internal one on the C-95) seem to conflict. I usually run both and use the internal settings on the i70s and the C-95 to select which GPS source to receive. Usually all units are set to read from the internal GPS on the C-95 except the AIS which cannot be made to accept an external signal other then the one from its own hardwired GPS antenna.

1st symptom: while running both AIS and Chart plotter, the chart plotter will loose its fix, shutdown and restart on its own. A thorough check of DC supply discarded that as a cause.

2nd symptom: When I switch off the internal GPS on the C-95 and try to select the AIS GPS as the source for fix in the DATA SOURCES menu under SET UP on the C-95, the AIS does not show up as a source choice. Although the AIS shows up as a DATA SOURCE option under the i70s set up menu.

3rd symptom: With the internal GPS in the OFF position, under the VIEW satellites menu in the SETUP for C-95 internal GPS, the display does not show any satellites BUT does show AIS 650 as GPS source !!

4th symptom: When using the C-95 internal GPS as DATA SOURCE and running the AIS 650 and its own GPS, under the PRO AIS2 app used to configure the AIS 650, the page displaying satellite signal shows no satellite at all. As soon as you switch the C-95 and its GPS off, the AIS PRO satellite page displays all satellite in view and shows a solid fix.

So there's a conflict somewhere but I have no idea how to solve it. All I want is ideally for the AIS GPS to be the sole source of positioning on board. And maybe strictly use the internal C-95 GPS as a back up if the AIS fails.
Any help much appreciated. Thx JB
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-27-16, 11:00 AM
RE: C-95 - AIS 650 GPS conflict
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum JB,

Please note that Class B AIS transceivers are required to utilize their internal GPS receivers in conjunction with a dedicated passive GPS antenna to determine the vessel's position, COG, and SOG which will be used in AIS RF transmissions. Accordingly, the AIS650 is neither designed to utilize GPS data from a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 source, nor is the AIS650 designed to transmit GPS data to a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. Correspondingly, the system should not list the AIS650 as a source of GPS data for the system. While ProAIS2 software includes options to output GNSS data, this is limited to transmitting GNSS data via its 38400 BAUD NMEA 0183 port, is defaulted to OFF, and it is recommended that that it remained configured to NOT transmit GNSS data.

Within the system that you specified, there is a single source of GPS (i.e. the c95 MFD) for the remaining devices within the system. In systems featuring a single source of data, the a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs, i70 MFID, and p70/p70R will automatically detect and use data from that source.

As the c95 MFD is the system's source of GPS data for all devices within your system except for the AIS650, the installation location of the MFD is important. Should the installation location of the MFD be such that it does not afford the MFD an unobstructed view of the skies overhead, then it may be necessary to interface an external GPS sensor to the SeaTalkng backbone which has been installed in a location affording it an unobstructed view of the skies overhead. Accordingly, it is recommended that the MFD's installation location be examined and if found to meet the criteria specified within this response. If so and the problem persists, then it is recommended that the MFD be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to have its internal GPS sensor bench checked / serviced.
09-27-16, 11:37 AM (This post was last modified: 09-27-16 01:15 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi
Thanks for the quick reply. Can you explain then why the AIS 650 is offered as a DATA SOURCE option on the SEATALK NG network connected to the i70 displays if the network can only use the GPS signal from the MFD.

Additionally, if my MFD cannot hold an unobstructed view of the sky, does Raymarine sell a stand alone GPS receiver that my MFD could connect to? I remind you that right now I am relying on the GPS internal to the MFD
jb
09-27-16, 01:32 PM
JB,

Regarding the i70 Data Sources feature listing the AIS650 as source of GPS data, it is possible that the software of the i70 and/or AIS650 is not current. Accordingly, it is recommended that the software level of all devices which have been interfaced to the SeaTalkng backbone be inspected to determine their respective version and if any are found to not be current, that the software of these products be updated with the latest available Raymarine product software updates. Please additionally note that the AIS650 which has been interfaced to my system (includes several a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs and i70 MFID) does not list the AIS650 as a GPS data source.

The system which you have specified will support GPS data from a GPS sensor supporting SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications, NMEA 0183 communications, or SeaTalk communications (the latter requires a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter). Raymarine does not offer any GPS receiver-only display. If seeking to interface the MFD to an external source of GPS data, then it is recommended that the system's SeaTalkng backbone be interfaced to a Raymarine Raystar 130 GPS Sensor. After interfacing the backbone the Raystar 130 GPS Sensor, then the c-Series MFD's Data Sources feature should be configured to MAN and the Raystar 130 GPS Sensor should then be selected as the system's source of GPS data. No data source selection need be or should be executed via the i70 MFID, as any source selections applied by a Data Master a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD will be applied throughout the system.