Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adding a second chartplotter
09-28-16, 12:51 AM
Adding a second chartplotter
Evening;

I am adding an eS78, Quantum radar, and AIS650 to my existing system (windvane with ITC-5, DST200 triducer, EVO autopilot with ACU-200/p70/EV-1, 3 i70 displays, Garmin GNT10 through a adapter cable, and a98 MFD). The MFD's have their own power supplies and the backbone is powered through the ACU-200.

I have everything connected with STng and the MFD's connected through Raynet and a 5 port switch.

Concept is that the a98 is in the cockpit and serves as primary GPS source, where the es78 is belowdecks and serves as data master. This is also the MFD that interfaced with Quantum radar.

I have a few questions about how to best operate this system, especially with regards to the wifi and networking:

1. The power layouts required me to power the AIS/VHF/AIS100 splitter, es78, and rest of the system from separate breakers. Is there a specific order they should be powered up in order to ensure that everything comes and shares data appropriately? In my initial bench testing, i had some issues getting the AIS650 to talk to the MFD and was unsure what i did that eventually fixed it (I was poking around in the NMEA input settings when it started talking to the MFD; i figured these would be irrelevant for a STng connected AIS system.)

2. Should I connect to the radar from the cockpit (a98) display as well, or rely on the Raynet switch to transfer all the data? will i be able to power up and standby the radar from that MFD?

3. For a multi-MFD system, what exactly does the 'data master' do? is that relevant only to ethernet stuff, or STng as well?

4. I attempted to select the GPS source, but got a message that the ACU-200 prevented that action. Is this normal? the p70 has GPS source set to 'auto.'

If i want to use Raycontrol for additional display or a wifi hotspot to get weather data, how does that interact with the wifi radar and 2 chartplotters wifis?
6. If i want to interface my Standard Horizon GSC1700 radio to the belowdecks (eS78) MFD with NMEA 0183 for the purposes of getting DSC data, will that be promulgated over the network as well? Any specific precautions/settings to make that work?

Thanks in advance for the assistance. Can post a diagram if requested.

Respectfully,

Heath
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-28-16, 02:21 PM (This post was last modified: 01-06-20 04:43 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: Adding a second chartplotter
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Heath,

General comment: It is generally not recommended that the SeaTalkng port of an ACU-200 be used to power a backbone having more than one device in addition to the SeaTalkng backbone. In larger systems, it is recommended that that the ACU's power switch be configured to the OFF position, that a spur socket be installed at the approximate mid-point of the backbone's LEN Load, and that a SeaTalkng Power Cable (protected with a 3A fuse) which has been interfaced to a switched 12 VDC power circuit be connected to the aforementioned spur socket.

Q1. The power layouts required me to power the AIS/VHF/AIS100 splitter, es78, and rest of the system from separate breakers. Is there a specific order they should be powered up in order to ensure that everything comes and shares data appropriately? In my initial bench testing, i had some issues getting the AIS650 to talk to the MFD and was unsure what i did that eventually fixed it (I was poking around in the NMEA input settings when it started talking to the MFD; i figured these would be irrelevant for a STng connected AIS system.)
A1. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. The MFD should be interfaced to the AIS650 by either SeaTalkng (preferred) or NMEA 0183 communications protocol, but not both ... please ensure that this is the case. It is also recommended that you verify that all components, including the AIS650 have been updated with the latest available Raymarine product software updates to ensure proper operation of the system. With respect to power-up sequence, the only product which may be affected by power-up sequence would be a system's radar transducer. In systems where communications issues regularly arise with communications between the MFD and radar transducer, it is generally recommended that the radar transducer be switched ON after the Ethernet network switch (if any) has been powered and the MFD(s) has completed initialization.

Q2. Should I connect to the radar from the cockpit (a98) display as well, or rely on the Raynet switch to transfer all the data? will i be able to power up and standby the radar from that MFD?
A2. Should an Ethernet network switch be installed onboard, then it is recommended that the MFDs and radome each be interfaced to the network switch ... particularly if the concept of operations included use of one of the MFDs while the other is switched OFF. Should this be consistent with your concept of operation for the system, then it would be recommended that each MFD also be interfaced as a spur to the SeaTalkng backbone.

Q3. For a multi-MFD system, what exactly does the 'data master' do? is that relevant only to ethernet stuff, or STng as well?
A3. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

Q4. I attempted to select the GPS source, but got a message that the ACU-200 prevented that action. Is this normal? the p70 has GPS source set to 'auto.'
A4. Please click here to view a related FAQ addressing this subject. Is recommended that you verify that the software within each of the system's Raymarine products has been updated with the latest available Raymarine product software updates to address this issue. I have seen instances where an AIS650 may block MDS, necessitating that the AIS650 be unplugged from the SeaTalkng backbone prior to commanding Data Source selection (MENU->SET-UP->SYSTEM SETTINGS->DATA SOURCES).

Q5) If i want to use Raycontrol for additional display or a wifi hotspot to get weather data, how does that interact with the wifi radar and 2 chartplotters wifis?
A5) Any Wi-Fi equipped MFD within the system may be configured to communicate via Wi-Fi with a Quantum radar, or with the Raymarine mobile apps, or connect to a Wi-Fi hotspot to support product software updates or Theyr weather downloads, but these cannot be simultaneously accomplished.

Q6. If i want to interface my Standard Horizon GSC1700 radio to the belowdecks (eS78) MFD with NMEA 0183 for the purposes of getting DSC data, will that be promulgated over the network as well? Any specific precautions/settings to make that work?
A6. Yes. Unlike SeaTalkng communications, the NMEA 0183 ports of any of the system's networked MFDs is capable of transmitting and/or receiving data. Any received data will be shared with the other networked system devices.
09-29-16, 07:59 PM
Chuck,

In response to your general comment, I can correct that easily. The architecture prevents completely balancing (the main load is the i70's which are daisy chained together and must be located near the midpoint, so that I can't offset them with the rest of the loads.)

To respond to A1, the AIS is connected over STNG only. All components are updated with the software pack released with the most recent version of lighthouse r17 (except the AIS, it was not connected at that time.) Will it update via an MFD, or directly from its microSD card?

To clarify Q2, my Quantum radar is the Wifi only model, so its is not connected via and physical data cables, only wifi to the belowdecks MFD. my questionwas addressing the particulars of that arrangement (can I have 2 MFD's logged in to the radar?)
10-03-16, 09:34 AM (This post was last modified: 10-03-16 09:39 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Heath,

Q1: To respond to A1, the AIS is connected over STNG only. All components are updated with the software pack released with the most recent version of lighthouse r17 (except the AIS, it was not connected at that time.) Will it update via an MFD, or directly from its microSD card?
A1: The AIS650's software may not be updated via a MFD. Instead, the AIS650's software is designed to be updated via a SD memory card which is inserted into the AIS650's SD card slot. Complete instructions for updating the AIS650's software may be accessed via the link found on the AIS650's Software Update web page.

Q2: To clarify Q2, my Quantum radar is the Wifi only model, so its is not connected via and physical data cables, only wifi to the belowdecks MFD. my questionwas addressing the particulars of that arrangement (can I have 2 MFD's logged in to the radar?)
A2: Only one MFD may be logged be paired via Wi-Fi Quantum radome at any time. Should that MFD be switched OFF and and one desire to use another of the system's MFD's to communicate with the Wi-Fi - only Quantum, then it would be necessary to have another of the system's MFD's pair with the Quantum radome before being able to use radar features.